Thinking about a lithium conversion

I like the Delta-Q chargers.
For an off-board charger, the Chargery C10325 can be set to any chemistry and from 12v to 100v.
Lots of new things available to balance and monitor batteries. Being less than 16 cells opens a few more options.

This is one of the simplest to work with. One wire to each cell. All cell voltages can be monitored on optional lcd screen.

There is no setup required. Works 24-7 charging the low cells from the high cells. (energy transfer)
No programming required. Can be switched on and off if desired.
Being a simple solution, it does not have over or under voltage protection. However most controllers shut down on l.v. and charger can be set for h.v. protection.

I can supply it wired and tested with numbered wires. I have one used DQ 48v charger, but they can be found on ebay from time to time.

For a stock 48v system, I recommend using 14s and profile #128 in DQ charger = 54.7 volts. or #53=58.4volts.
128 being conservative 3.9v per cell and 53 = 4.17v per cell if you need more range.
One advantage of the C10325 is being able to change to higher voltage when more range is needed.

chargery%201500

Thanks for the info an pics. I appreciate your thoughts. I see you offering thoughts on several topics. Do you have an online store? Web page? I believe the Chargery company also sells BMS systems. Would you use one of them or is this Mornsun unit you show work better? Does it come in case since it would be mounted to the batteries?

I do apologize for all the questions but since I do not know what i am doing (lol) I am not sure what questions to ask until I develop a better understanding of what I need to do in order to make this happen.
Thanks

Chargery seems overkill but works well.
Iā€™m always looking to keep it simple.
I sell a few things on Ebay, but batteries are a hobby.

3 x 5s modules with a cheap balancer and Chargery charger is near a drop in swap.

This would replace a 48v system in my club car precedent? If yes what is the dimensions? How would you rate the LIFePo4 battery against the Leaf setup I have asked about relative to longevity? If you do this type of workā€”Cost to add the balancer (wired with a monitor display so I could make sure NOT to run the batteries too low)

Thanks

I believe the gen3 leaf are ok. @LithiumGods has had issues with older leaf and heat.
That is the ebay price. 3 x 16v modules with display and balancer is about $1,000 plus shipping.
15 cells are 3kwh. 30 cells if you have room is 6kwh.
Add $750.
Chargery charger is $300

5s%20dimensions

Looking at the specs, i cant recommend a 3kwh battery in a 48v car unless peak current is under 180amps.
I should have remembered. I did a few 48v cars. Badboy and ruf&tuf etc. Used 6kwh in all.

OK, thanks. I currently am thinking I will go with the Gen3 Leaf batteries if/when I can get them. From what I have learned I can use 7 or the 8 cells and get somewhere around 52v/56v. Just need to figure out which BMS and Charger to use. Looks like the Chargery units are workable because I need a display and battery monitoring.

Thank you so much for the info. If you (or anyone on this forumn) that has a simpler, more cost effective system please let me (all of us know)

Thanks so much

Let me know when you are ready for Chargery products. Or other charger/bms.
Look at the Spark thread for another simple solution.
Itā€™s going to be hard to find a simpler safer solution with support that the LiFePo4 batteries.

Inwo,

Looking for some advice and some parts if you have any time.

I have a 2008 GEM that I bought in 2016 - been upgraded, bigger motor, new charger etc., but the batteries were lead, very hard to access, and they are no longer holding a charge. After researching here, it seems that if I am going to the expense of replacing batteries, I should go a little higher on cost and replace with Lithium.

I have a guy who builds the cart, but he has not done a Lithium battery pack before. I was planning on using Chevy Volt batteries, was wanting to go 96v /100ah, although if that is not needed for some reason, am not tied to it. The builder is having a hard time tracking down a charger system, and I do not think he knows which BMS to use either. Seems like you are the expert and maybe have either / both for sale (have not yet bought the batteries either).

Let me know the easiest way to communicate on this and we can go from there. Pic of cart attached (it is actually my wifeā€™s). Thanks I advance for any help - it is sincerely appreciated.

gem

The DQ charger will charge to 98v. Ie. 24s lithium.
I build a harness that will series parallel Volt modules, and connect to bms/balancer.
No Volt for sale at this time. I do have 160ah 12kwh Chevy Bolt 20s that is the ultimate Gem battery.
$3500
Also lifepo4 if you can find room for 50 cells. 120ah $2500 drop in use standard charger.
If you get the Volts, I can help with all the parts you need to get it working.
High voltage hot-rodding is not without issues, but many on here think itā€™s worth it.

Already appreciate the advice!

Not necessarily looking to hot rod, although would be fun - my wife uses the cart to drive the kids around town, to the beach etc., but our town is hilly, and we often have 6 people in the cart.

Based on that, would it be more advisable to go lifepo4 route or source the Volt batteries and get the charger and BMS / balancer? How much space would the 50 cells take in comparison to the 6 x 30XHS deep-cycle batteries currently in the cart.

Thanks again.

The volt modules need to be reworked to fit 4 or more. Saw water jackets. The rest is easy using my harness.
MVC-009F
The lifepo4 are simpler wiring and charging. No bms or charger mods. If you can fit them in it should work.
5s%20dimensions1
These donā€™t need to be in 5 packs. I can customize. I donā€™t know anyone using 50. Most use 25. But 60ah is limited to <20 easy miles.
The Bolt should do 60 miles and drops in in one piece. [tight fit]

Pictured @grantwest

1 Like

What is your location?
Might be a Bolt coming to Florida soon.

I am in Los Angeles - couldnā€™t be farther away in the US if I triedā€¦

On the Bolt - does it need anything else (BMS / Charger etc.) or is it drop in like the Lifepo4? Go a cross bean going across that gap (I see you have a bolt hole on the plastic too) so not sure if it will fit.

Would like to try and keep it simple, yet get as much increased range / power as possible.

Current batteries measure roughly 12 long, 9 high, and 7 wide, so wider than the packs you are showing. Currently four in the main area, and two tucked behind in the rear under the back fold down seat. Trying to guess how many I can cram in, and how many I would actually need / want.

Pic of current battery set-up - last two are tucked behind under the bench seat.

IMG_0894

It would not be easy to fit 50 green cells. Youā€™re on your own there.
4 Volt modules have been done. 2 need to be cut down.
3 16s Volt/Spark fits, but needs re-configuring. Search ā€œsparkā€
The Bolt drops in, but tight. Iā€™ve done it myself.
I can make the bolt plug and play before shipping.
I suppose it will be $150 shipping from Mn.
Charger may work as is or need reprogramming. Send it to me or I send programmer to you.
If itā€™s your last $3500 might not be for you, there are always things that come up costing a little more money. Not always needed, but protect investment with more electronics.
Doing it again, I would use a simple bluetooth/monitor/balancer, which I can install on Bolt module. Then it only need to connect to Gem B+ and B- original cables.
Biggest job is mechanics. Ask Grant for details on mounting. I believe he has done two. Improving on my method.

Inwo,

OK, definitely getting something from you, just need to figure out what it is. Options:

• get a Volt pack somewhere (realize you donā€™t have one just now) and then get the BMS and charger from you to make it work - rough cost? downside is batteries have to be cut up etc.

• get lifepo4 cells from you and swap out. I currently run 6 full size batteries, and believe without much effort I could get 7 of the 5 packs you had pics of in there - for a total of up to 35. what number of cells makes sense, and is that all that is needed for this option - plug and play? rough cost?

• Bolt - $3500, needs the blue tooth BMS systems and the charger re-programmed, then need to get it installed / fabricated to fit.

Are those the correct options, and am I missing anything?

ps - I am far better at wrenching on my dirt bike than on electrics and batteries!

Green cells need to be multiples of 24-28 to be at a working voltage.
Others are using 25s and getting from 10-25 miles.

Bolt fits in all in one piece without much effort. Charger may work as-is.

Volt
2pc harness for 2-6 modules $100
Chargery BMS $300 plus needed misc. parts $100
Reprogram $50 plus two way shipping.

1 Like

I am located in Pasadena and have an 02 with a bolt conversion. You are welcome to swing by and check it out

Hereā€™s a post of a picture of the leaf module conversion I did on a 2002 e825 in San Diego.