Think a.c. motor fitment

The motor bolts have locktite. Use some heat and they come right out. I marked orientation before removing end bell. In case it makes a difference.

Remember, I’m on a budget here. I don’t have a prospect for selling one yet.:wink:

Haha… All good… I got the differential. I’m just happy you tasked me with something and I can help out

Would be fair if you posted my response on Facebook.

So here it is for the rest of people on here. I’ll do the work for free, send me the motor. I sent you a diff willingly. If you don’t trust anyone then that’s also a problem. If you wwant to share in the R&D so you can then make money selling your kit but you want me to pay upfront full price for it, thats not exactly fair either.

Here is everything from my facebook response.

David Bissen send Ernie that diff I sent you and see if they can makeit work with your motor.
I offered to make it work if you sent me the motor but we couldnt agree on me paying you upfront for something unproven. So I spent the money to ship you the diff to atleast start with that.
I have 2 Thinks here now and one doesn’t have the diff or motor in it currently.
I offer again, send me the motor. If it works I will pay you. If it doesn’t, I’ll send it back. I have no interet in keeping somthing that doesnt work but I am willing to do the labor to figure it out for the community for free.

@TheTurboDad I just bought a differential off eBay and have one of Dave’s motors as an extra sitting in my garage. I’ll try to get a machine shop to make them physically connect. Since you have a THINK without a motor and differential, could be a good drop-in option for you. I’ll get us to that point and then you can work out a price with @Inwo. My only caveat is time. I tried to find a welder to make me an aluminum battery tray for my 2016 Gem and no one wanted to take on a small job. Hopefully, i can find a machine shop to work the motor for me/us.

This is where we left off. I do not have anything tested to fit.

Go for it Ernie. Once you get it figured out let me know.

Ive taken my think down to bare chassis already once and made it easy to dissamble if I need to do it again.

Currently reworking my belt drive and PMAG motor mounting thus why it doesn’t have anything in it.

If you watch.youtube vlogs you can check out my latest upload where I talk about the Think and some of the other projects I’m working in.

1 Like

Lets see what Ernie can do. You seem to trust him.
If he gets it machined and bolted on well we can see what it will take to fit it on the Think.

I know 2 people down here in Florida looking for an option for bolt on, no hassle motors.

I don’t have a problem putting in work on mine to make custom parts work but most people do not have the ability or the tools and paying someone to make custom modifications is expensive here. So the market is different. I paid a Ford EV engineer to fly down here and do all the new wiring for my controller, motor, DC DC, Accessories, etc.

I’m a no bs guy, lets get it done.

I’m looking at some of the pictures @inwo posted. Will it physically fit even if i can get it connected to the differential? I ran into this problem with my 2000 GEM and had to find a shorter motor. pivoting the differential might do the trick

Do you have your oem Gem motor? They are only 10.5" long and fit trans with only a little grinding of the bearing retainer area. Then machine motor face for a lip, or make an adapter ring between motor and trans.
I’m going to take a second look. A 3d printed adapter ring may suffice.

You had one picture with the 8wk motor, that put in my head that’s what we wanted machined. You’re thinking an OEM 48v AC motor? e.g. the one out of my 2016?

re-reading the thread… or both? 8kw and OEM 48v AC motor.

@AssyRequired look what just showed up at my doorstep. If you’re game to mess with it, just need to figure out how to get it to you. Inlaws are coming down from Irvine. I can send it up with them, along with a 8kw motor.

That would work. Would they mind being mules?

Actually, brother in-law has a truck and might be able to drop it off.

@Inwo proceed? You want this gear box and the 8kw motor coupled?

What have I got you in to?
Still no takers.
I think with a motor fitting trans, it should be an easy sale.

I figure we get them bolted up as a package. Maybe we can piggyback on one of George’s trips to get both back to you. @AssyRequired will hit you up offline

So no one proceeded with mating an AC motor to the Think transmission? I have the old 4HP motor and Rev 1 controller looking for some options.

If youcan have shafts made Gabe has these trannys.
Fit standard 19 spline dana.
Shown is 15kw ac motor on Gabe tranny.

We have the tranny cvt ends.

Gem Trans? How does the width compare to fit between frame rail?