The Perfect Electric Vehicle

If you had unlimited money, how would you build your perfect electric vehicle?

What kind of motor, batteries, charger, car shell, etc… would your vehicle have and why?

if i had unlimited money and resources i would basicly have everything custom made. and it would be something similar in performance to the tesla in terms of performance and something more along the lines of the “skateboard” from GM.

i’m still unsure about the batteries because i have many ideas as to what versions i would use and most are still in concept phase.

I would probably stick with wheel hub motors just so that i would have more room in the frame for the batteries and other things and the brakes would also be part of the motor.

as far as recharging goes, just a simple plug in the wall would sufice for me… its better than having to have a custom charger so if you go anywhere you are screwed unless you are at home… or maybe even an addapter that would fit in a normal socket even, that would be nice too…

Interesting on the wheel hub motors. How many would you have, four? Does a typical front wheel drive car only have 1 wheel attached to the transmission?

[QUOTE=tom11011;215]Interesting on the wheel hub motors. How many would you have, four? Does a typical front wheel drive car only have 1 wheel attached to the transmission?[/QUOTE]

i’m not sure how many i would want it to have. seeing as i’m still in the planning phase, by the time i got down to it, it would all depend on what i was going for, and how the draw was on it… if i was going for economy, it would only get one hub motor on a central shaft and it would be FWD (both front wheels on one hub) but if i was going for performance it would definately be all wheel drive with one hub per corner.

but like i said… it all depends on the draw of each motor when driving…

typically on FWD vehicles its a matter of the transmission that puts the power to the wheels and both wheels are both connected to the transmission. but in either aftermarket or if the car is setup properly from the factory, the transmission has a Limited slip differential. it allows both sides to spin evenly instead of the one that has less grip to spin all out more. (usually the case in sport compact cars with their 1 wheel burn out)

I would like to have the Zap-X crossed with the tesla on a Ford Explorer Sport body. The Zap-X has 4 hub wheel motors that will produce 655 horsepower, and travel at upto 155 MPH. Not that I would drive that fast, but it’s nice to have the kind of top end torque. I think the batteries from the Phoenix Motor Co. would be a good start as they are able to dump charge in 10 - 15 min. and are not prone to explode.

I am no expert, but just reading each sites expectations. If they can live up to there dreams it would make mine come true.

can you describe those batteries more, are they deep cycle or something else?

Go to Altairnano’s website link below.
www.altairnano.com/markets.html
They are making the batteries for Phoenix Motorcar’s new electric SUT.

I forgot to post the Phoenix Motorcar website address.

They will be selling there electric SUT to fleet operators first, but it will give them great experience with production of the electric cars.

I’d have a Delorean with AltairNano batteries and and onboard charger with a gas powered generator for long trips.

My neighbor two doors up has a Delorean. He has been considering doing a conversion for a few weeks now.

Cheers

I would have the body of the EV coated with a high efficiency solar energy collecting film. That way the car would suck some extra miles from the sun while being parked.

Regards
Joseph

[QUOTE=tom11011;208]If you had unlimited money, how would you build your perfect electric vehicle?[/QUOTE]

I’d start by restoring something old like a Tatra 77 or a Studebaker Champion. I’d get it absolutely stripped and pristine before wiring it up. Then I’d make it smooth and comfortable and fun to drive. Then I’d let anyone who showed any interest take a ride or a drive. :slight_smile:

New to the forum and a little lost. Looking for builder type blogs to see what others are doing that I might follow if I see their merit. Anyone actually building or is this more of a think tank type forum.

bugzapper

[QUOTE=bugzapper;949]New to the forum and a little lost. Looking for builder type blogs to see what others are doing that I might follow if I see their merit. Anyone actually building or is this more of a think tank type forum.

bugzapper[/QUOTE]

Welcome to the forum. Newdawn has a build thread on a Saturn SC2. It’s in the [B]Conversions, Electric Kits, DIY[/B] forum.

New to the forum and a little lost. Looking for builder type blogs to see what others are doing that I might follow if I see their merit. Anyone actually building or is this more of a think tank type forum.

bugzapper

Welcome bugzapper, we are glad to have you as a member , although this is a relatively new and growing forum about electric vehicles. Their are members building vehicles. As the forum builds, we hope that this electric car forum is and will be an excellent tool and resource for electric vehicle information online.

As the education of electric possibilities grow more members will build and buy. As inSANe DIEGO posted new dawn has his own thread here electric saturn conversion check it out , there is tones of pictures of his great work.

Also ev member Paul51480 has is electric motorcycle conversiona Honda Rebel 450 with video and pictures.

Al
I went to the Altairo site as you suggested. Those things cost $2.00 per watt/hour IF you could buy them which you and I cannot. My deep cycle Deka’s provide apx 960 watt/hr and cost $80 each. Do you really want to pay $1720 each for batteries?
tommyt

Bug
Try “EVAlbum” and see what lots of other folks are doing.
tommyt

If I had around $100K to play with, the EAT-2 looks like a lot of fun.

http://www.aevehicles.com/products.html

Come on folks! Unlimited money and resources? How about a miniature nuclear reactor (they use them to power satellites)? No recharging, unlimited mileage, light weight. What’s not to love?:smiley:

[QUOTE=seawiz;3411]Come on folks! Unlimited money and resources? How about a miniature nuclear reactor (they use them to power satellites)? No recharging, unlimited mileage, light weight. What’s not to love?:D[/QUOTE]

AND you can find your car in a dark parking lot, just look for the glow.