Temperature sensor charger Volt batteries

Could you attach a picture if the temperature sensor? I just got a 2008 GEM but the wiring was bad. I have brought it back from the dead so far. But it is in turtle mode I am also running on lithium batteries. A 48v and 36v chevy volt Gen 1. Purchased new charger. Any help on the heat sensor.

Not used with lithium charger.
Can you explain batteries? I’m not aware of 48v or 36v Chevy Volt modules. Only 6s 22v, 12s 44v, and gen2 16s 66v.
Did you modify them to work in a Gem? A Gem needs 20s minimum.

It sounds like multiple issues going on here.

1. You need to describe your lithium battery package a little bit better. Where did these 48v and 36v Gen 1 Bolt packs come from? Where did you mount them? Can you include some pics?

2. Can you verify voltage? and how you hooked them into your car? There may be a reason it is stuck in turtle mode.

3. What charger did you get to run on these packs?

4. You say the wiring was bad on your car. What have you done to correct it? What have you replaced?

1 Like

You may be on to something. These may be “Bolt” batteries, which are easily configured to custom voltages. From a seller in Michigan maybe. I was thinking that this might be another Ebay fiasco. :slight_smile:

Always a tad sketchy, those north Midwesterners…

:wink:

Purchased one 48v and 36v like this one has been altered. As of this morning voltage with out load is 75v

They can be good batteries, although very small capacity <50ah. Must use a “full” bms to be safe, as you will be using full capacity.
PS, many of use use the full 88v, all 24 cells.

If those voltages are full charge voltages they wont work. You should NEVER charge lithium cells to max voltage. Not one car manufacture allows their batteries to be charged to max voltage. So charged to 90% the voltages will be too low and you will get short range. You didn’t answer the question on how many cells there are in series. 18 or 20? You need 20 to 24 to make a Gem work properly. Many have tried with 18, all have failed. Which charger are you using? may not need temp sensor. We are all here to help but need some details and some actual pictures.

Charger is a no name, but 98.4v out put. It all was an ebay purchase.

98.4 sounds a little high for what you are trying to do.

Do you know how many cells are in your pack?

Can you attach a pic of each of your batteries?

Who was the ebay seller?

1 Like

I’d say. Hope he’s using as 24s 88v .

Tell me it wasn’t A l l a n!

Processing: 20210809_205509.jpg…
Processing: 20210809_205423.jpg…
Processing: 20210809_210105.jpg…
Processing: 20210809_210109.jpg…

Ok - I’m going to step out and just say right now…

STOP !!! – DO NOT PLUG IN THIS CAR AND ATTEMPT TO CHARGE IT. –

If the car is plugged in now- go unplug it now!!

If you would like help from this forum we are asking for some key information that you have not yet provided.

1 Like

I smell a car-b-cue in the works.

It does kind of look like his handywork.

1 Like

Seems to be 12c 3 in Parallel I will take them out soon as I get home. Out of town till Wednesday. The charger is not connected. Oh just remembered one battery was
Altered I can’t get a picture of that tomorrow. I did not get a voltage from the same screw as the other battery.

Where to start? So much to go wrong.
What is pictured between modules? Nothing good can come of that. Is someone helping you with this?
98v will destroy this setup if less than 24s. 88 volts.
Breaking any series connection with a fuse or switch will burn bms.

I strongly recommend that you cut your losses, unless you get good tech support.
From the small amount of information coming out, it will be a long process.

In the center of the picture is the fuse, lol that was the only part set up from the old owner. As far as cut losses scrap the battery system buy new batteries or scrap with GEM?

Keep the car and put in a new set of batteries.
What do you have for a motor?

The batteries sat when they came in one tested at 46v the other tested at 33v. When I had time to put them in I tested out of the car in series 75v. the 36v is modified. pictures in bottom.

75v in series hookup, Drawn picture below.

at the moment the charger is not connected. and have not charged.

the i only replaced wires that were frayed. motor leads animals got to them