Swapping a T1 controller

@Inwo would I lose the dash with a T2 swap?

Does anyone have an adapter that is already made?

I will post my T1 specs here once I get to my other computer with the file. Maybe you guys know more when it come to me over heating it by accident

Thanks

My 2c get your T-1 upgraded to a T-2 Or buy a rebuilt T-2 from FSIP. It should have a Blue sticker on it showing date it was Rebuilt. Then source the T-1 to T-2 adaptor, then you will need to swap
A pin or 2 on the 32 Pin connector (I believe it’s just a jumper it’s been so long) But go back through the thread, and it points out what needs to be jumped

So your saying I could just call and have them rebuild my T1 to a T2 and still use the same cables?? Or would I still have to get the adapter

The 8 to 12 adapter is not that big of a deal.

The ultimate hack- (children- avert your eyes)
I once had a guy pull the pins out of his 8 and carefully stick them onto the correct pins in his 12 socket. I think he even put little bits of shrink tubing on them so they didn’t short to each other. Once verified working, he filled the hole with hot glue. A little bit of soap rubbed in first and it might even come out if needed.

But yes, I would like to see what you are running for numbers.

Also, I don’t think you straight answered what your wheel size was (tire height). Are you really running 12 inch tall tires?

I think the root cause was your swap to 8.9 gears and running too big of a wheel.

What speeds are you getting now?

A T1 to T5 seems like a lot of work as @AssyRequired pointed out

But is more than that. At the end of it all, youve just spent a lot of time and money to put lipstick, powder and paint on a crippled pig.

Youre still stuck with shyt suspension, shyt steering, bad weight distrubution, an anemic motor or very limited motor upgrade choices, a ride a like a pile drver crossed with a concrete truck,

If you want a t4 or t5, get a t4 or t5 cart. Then move your tall 8.9 gears and have the AMD black motor or monster GE serviced

@JarJarJava and @AssyRequired
I am running 14 inch tires, and they are 19in from base to top.

I am over heating at slow speeds and my max speed going on flat pavement is around 45 mph

here are my codes that I changed. 1, 3, 7 19 and 20 are the only ones I changed

[quote=“JarJarJava, post:25, topic:27438”]
Youre still stuck with shyt suspension, shyt steering, bad weight distrubution, an anemic motor or very limited motor upgrade choices, a ride a like a pile drver crossed with a concrete truck,
[/quote]

I understand I have the oldest GEM on the block however for as much as I use it, we like it and it does what we want from it IT JUST overheats…

I have a Handheld programer can that also be used on the T2?

1 Like

Flight systems can be build your T1 and converted to a T2. And yes you would need some extra cabling. There’s an adapter that goes from the new controller to your cars, existing wiring harness Requires no modification. But there is a jumper that needs to be done on your 32 pin connector

Do they upgrade and provide the adapter or is that something I need to find

@Tyson_Davis

Change everything back to stock. See if still overheats. If it does, your controller is hashed.

If it doesn’t, then change them one at a time back to what you had with the same drving patterns in between…

My comment was basically “if you want a t4, get a t4 car”. You have to play golf with the clubs in your bag. Your bag is an 99-04.

Listen to @grantwest , he’s one of the guys who has been leading the GEM build curve for at least a decade.

BTW, I’m a little overstocked on flares and avgas right now. I can do package deals.

That’s Something ya need to find. See if the older threads have a Part number for the Jumper. I think the T-1 is 8 pin connector and T-2 is 10 pin. Dave can clarify but what ya get is a 8 to 10 pin adaptor so it’s plug and play once you have that harness adaptor then you do a Jumper on the 32 pin harness. You will need one of the Factory Pins that click into the 32 Pin connector. Then you just connect your New pin to a existing wire check the old thread to see what wires or pins go where

My 2002 had a Rebuilt T-2. And for the Most part my over heat issues went away with a New rebuilt controller. Then when I started Hot Rodding the 9hp D&D motor and going Higher voltage 24cell overheating was simply somthing that happens every blue moon. I installed a common computer fan to blow over the controller and after that my over heating was a thing of the past. Also I made sure I had the correct amount of thermal paste on the back side of the controller to help the controller dissipate heat as it was intended to onto the aluminum firewall that works like a heat sink

I’ll look at the numbers when I get back to my laptop,

I installed a common computer fan to blow over the controller

But this is what I wanted to explore on your rig after that. Those 3 little fans on your fins are neat, but how much air are they actually moving? Maybe you can do better?

Function 4. More current + more heat in controller.

Function 7 min field.
Lower number + more heat in motor.
Not your issue, but I had a screen shot. :slight_smile:
It can indirectly heat controller by allowing more arm current.

There’s actually a polaris service kit for the swap. It’s listed in the back of the 1999 - 2004 parts catalogue. Here’s a snap-shot.

I bought the kit / parts from a GEM dealer in Florida back in 2018. Pre-covid, the kit was $325.

Back then, I had the original t1 in my car and it would overheat all the time when climbing hills. I ended up buying a new t2 from FSIP and never overheated after that… even when running 24s lithium. I didn’t run that kit for too long before going AC in that car.

I’m not sure if FSIP will rebuild the T1s anymore. I don’t think they’ll take a t1 as a core for a rebuilt t2 either. I have one laying around that @dougl blew up that you could probably send back as a core.

I have a 2002 sitting in my driveway I’ve been planning to see if I can convert to a Navitas 5kw AC kit. I personally think that will be an awesome setup for the older GEMs. Just need to find the time to actually do it.

Did you buy the Navitas kit yet?
I have some 5kw gem motors that I think fit. Should be less than $1k for motor and controller to someone who has dvt.

Is Tyson near a cartel member? That can’t be much more than a new t2.

I haven’t yet… been too busy with work. I wouldn’t be able to mess with this until mid-April.

I had the 5kw with sevcon running in my 2000. It ran awesome. There were cavitation issues but those should be worked through by now.with the latest DCFs.

I did overheat the s4 controller a couple of times in my 2000. It was a super hot day and I was doing a long hill climb. Controller went into limp mode. I didn’t have thermal paste applied. Having it stuffed under the dash isn’t a great spot for the controller in the heat.

I believe I was running 12:1 gears.

I’d do the 5kw/sevcon conversion again. Only thing I’d do differently would be a be a heat sink and thermal paste for the controller. Maybe mount it on the front battery tray. Sooo… instead of spending $300 for the conversion kit T1 to T2 + $550 ? controller rebuild, go ac

1 Like

Yes, I think you have access to cheap S6. If not, I have cases on NIB S4 for $550
My S6 are $750 to group. I paid more than that.

New topic:
I can tap back Goliath batteries to 6s or 7s, making them perfect for classic or new gems.
14s or 22s.