Storing GEM Outside

Does anyone store their GEM outside? Right now I keep mine in the garage but eventually I would like to have a boat in the 3rd bay. I know they sell covers… I live in North Texas btw - will the heat and sun destroy it?

I’m in southern cal and have always kept my cart outside. Cheap cover from amazon helps to keep it cleaner and drier. Pain to cover on nice days though. I drive almost daily so really doesn’t matter. I notice the seat belts tend to show bleaching from the uv rays. Mostly just gets dirty faster, easy enough to clean. Windows do require regular cleaning on both sides though. Also wouldn’t want to leave anything valuable in it. They’re not real secure!

I had to store one of mine outside this winter due to the garage being full of snowmobiles. The clear on the paint completely delaminated and ruined the finish. Going to be a nightmare to fix. I can’t say whether storing it outside was causal or coincidental but I wouldn’t do it again without a cover. I didn’t have any problems with water intrusion from rain however. I always try to park my pimped car in the garage because its hard to wash them without getting water in the interior which fills the cupholders and makes me nervous.

My 2009 eS has lived outside its entire life. I have the GEM cover but haven’t used it since perhaps the first year. It’s in Oklahoma so summers are HOT, winters are cold. It is driven almost daily.

I’m on my third set of seat covers. The outside edges crack and split.

I’m on my second set of seat belts. Locking mechanism on one ceased to function, the rewind function on the other.

Left-side rear view mirror delaminated and was replaced; right side is still fine.

This summer the paint coating started delaminating.

I attribute all the above to UV exposure.

D

Do you think the cover would help or is it destined to happen?

I believe all my problems could have been prevented by using the cover. I would probably be on my third or fourth cover by now. The factory cover is thin and I’m guessing the sun would eat it in two or three years.

I live in Southern Cal and for 4 years now have a carport. Just by being enclosed on 3 sides and then the roof, it keeps my golf cart and regular car fairly clean. Just dust eventually. If you can get an enclosed tent, your golf cart would be kept clean - or a full cover. The previous owner cut up a bunch of extra large trash bags, taped together, and that was her car cover.

If the boat cost more than the GEM keep the boat in the garage. Which ever one you put outside will eventually be ruined by the sun and weather. The finishes are no where near as good as a cars. Repainting a GEM is a costly undertaking.

Good advice. Boat will be around $50k - Gem is about a 10th of that.