SSC "Going Green" Supercar

Anyone have opinions on this? Speceifically, this part:
“The drive train under development will not require a charge for six years and will power two 500 horsepower electric motors producing 1000 horsepower and providing supercar performance.”

http://www.shelbysupercars.com/news-071208.php

““I think we can do it faster, leaner and cleaner than any other manufacturer” says Jerod Shelby, SSC Founder.”

No one has any opinions on a car that will go 6 YEARS without a charge?

6 Years? That would be amazing! But I’ll reserve my opinion for when there’s actually a “real” EV available, not just unproven engineering goals, or did I read the article wrong? Price will be amazing too, I suspect.

I just read this and I note that the showroom is in Dubai. Is this car using solar top-up perhaps? Thus slowing battery run-down.

i think they mean 6 years between changing the pack, not charging… its been discussed on other forums. You just can’t race a car, daily, and provide no charge to the batteries… where’s the energy to drive the car coming from.

[QUOTE=frodus;4102]i think they mean 6 years between changing the pack, not charging… its been discussed on other forums. You just can’t race a car, daily, and provide no charge to the batteries… where’s the energy to drive the car coming from.[/QUOTE]

Precisely my point… marketing dept=fail

Actually, on re-reading it:
“The drive train under development will feature a revolutionary power source allowing for extended time between charging intervals with the possibility of several years between charging” That sounds like they mean just what they say. Revolutionary power source, probably some sort of perpetual motion device… hehe (I keed, I keed)

The drive train under development will feature a revolutionary power source allowing for extended time between charging intervals with the possibility of several years between charging. Powered by a 500 horsepower electric motor, the Ultimate Aero EV will have true supercar performance. Additionally, SSC is exploring the potential of a twin 500 horsepower electric power plant producing 1,000 horsepower in a 2 or 4 wheel drive configuration.

IT says possibility of several years between charges, Frodus.

I DID read the article. Reread it. “extended time between charging intervals with the possibility of several years between charging” that sounds ambiguous… which is exactly what the marketing people want… smoke and mirrors. Interval between charging, but fails to mention if they’re actually DRIVING the damn thing. They don’t have to mention that to get the hype out because they make it open for misinterpretation. What I’m saying is, kinda like playing telegraph as a kid… just because you say one thing in one end, further down the line it gets misconstrued…do you think the marketing people are engineers? They’re not. One person says 6 years between changes, or 6 years of battery life… and someone else misinterprets that to mean you only charge it once every 6 years.

Its been discussed on other forums… and it requires a LOT of energy.
They may hold their CHARGE for years, but you absolutely will not run continuous for 6 years…

Lets say you drive 50 miles a day average… for 365 days a year for 6 years. Thats 109,500 miles. Lets say you use 350 Wh per mile… thats 38,325,000WH… or 38Mega Watt.

Here’s a 39MW generator, just to let you know the size:
http://www.brownmarine.com/tg08.htm

Thats not even the fuel required. Just think of what 38MW of batteries would take up, and weigh.

They don’t run on fairy dust and elf farts…

Why not think outside the box, and put everything in perspective. Do some calculations and realize that 38MW is NOT going to fit into a sports car, period. Reread their statements and realize, they’re not ADDING detail to clarify, but they are leaving it open to interpretation from dreamers.

[QUOTE=frodus;4112]wow, no ■■■■… I DID read the article… did you read my comments? Its been discussed on other forums… and it requires a LOT of energy. What I’m saying is, kinda like playing telegraph as a kid… just because you say one thing in one end, further down the line it gets misconstrued…do you think the marketing people are engineers? They’re not. One person says 6 years between changes, or 6 years of battery life… and someone else misinterprets that to mean you only charge it once every 6 years.

They may hold their CHARGE for years, but you absolutely will not run continuous for 6 years… maybe in dreamland.

Lets say you drive 50 miles a day average… for 365 days a year for 6 years. Thats 109,500 miles. Lets say you use 350 Wh per mile… thats 38,325,000WH… or 38Mega Watt.

Here’s a 39MW generator, just to let you know the power requirement:
http://www.brownmarine.com/tg08.htm

They sure as hell don’t run on fairy dust and elf farts…

So before you start talking down to me, and quote their website, why don’t you think outside the box, and put everything in perspective. Do some calculations and realize that 38MW is NOT going to fit into a sports car, period.[/QUOTE]

Dude, relax, no one is talking down to you. Here’s what they say (and yes, I realize I’m quoting their site, not act like you didn’t read it but because I am focusing on this phrase)

" will feature a revolutionary power source"

That kinda means they’re planning to generate power in some way. Whether that is solar, fuel cell, magic, Ionnowhat, Unobtanium, etc, who the F knows. My point is that I don’t think it was written incorrectly, I think they are planning on somethin very unconventional. Or at least something verging on a hybrid.

I was hoping to spur some creative out-o-box hypothesis rather than some out-o-the-box drama… :rolleyes::wink:

I realize that, but try to think outside the box when reading their marketing campaign for a super car…

they wrote it very creatively, but never said it’d last 6 years constant driving… just that it would last 6 years on a charge. There’s a HUGE difference, but people like you are saying the same thing on all sorts of forums…

Do the math before shooting people down… its not at all possible.

I’ll re-edit my post to sound a little more friendly…

I have read and reread and reread , and I still don’t see 6 years mentioned anywhere in the article link posted. I think some may be confusing the 1183HP twin turbo V8 specs wit h the as yet to be developed EV. Here’s the article the link points to:

Shrouded in mystery and secrecy, SSC has announced plans to unveil the next historical milestone – the Ultimate Aero EV (Electric Vehicle), the first 100% Green Supercar to achieve speeds never before seen. Engineering details are yet undisclosed while development continues at an uninterrupted pace. [B]Despite months of speculation, SSC expects to roll out its first prototype in February 2009[/B].
“I think we can do it faster, leaner and cleaner than any other manufacturer” says Jerod Shelby, SSC Founder.
Unlike other manufacturers’ models slated for delivery in the next decade, [B]Shelby’s latest brainchild expects to be delivered as early as fourth quarter 2009[/B]. Other automakers have sacrificed aesthetics and performance in exchange for hybrid power plants, but the Ultimate Aero EV will deliver a pollution-free, engineering marvel with an exotic Supercar exterior. [B]The drive train under development will feature a revolutionary power source allowing for extended time between charging intervals with the possibility of several years between charging[/B]. Powered by a 500 horsepower electric motor, the Ultimate Aero EV will have true supercar performance. Additionally, SSC is exploring the potential of a twin 500 horsepower electric power plant producing 1,000 horsepower in a 2 or 4 wheel drive configuration.
Having already broken one World Record, SSC will soon break the engineering challenge of our time. Says Jay Leno of SSC’s first accomplishment, "The coolest thing about this car is they said they were going to do something and then they did it."
While other manufacturers scramble to capture the Green hysteria of late, SSC will leap over the barrier with a fraction of the Big Three’s budget. To that end, the company recently contracted with Investor Relations Group, Sheffield International Finance Corporation initiating the Companys first acceptance of outside capital since its inception. In a press release dated July 11, 2008, the American automaker announced that much of the private capital will be dedicated to achieve the historical milestone. The invitation-based offering includes an A-list of invitees including celebrities and notable financiers from around the world.
Consistent with its company philosophy of being the benchmark, SSC plans next to break the record for the fastest electric car in the world.

[QUOTE=no7fish;3973]Anyone have opinions on this? Speceifically, this part:
“The drive train under development will not require a charge for six years and will power two 500 horsepower electric motors producing 1000 horsepower and providing supercar performance.”

http://www.shelbysupercars.com/news-071208.php

““I think we can do it faster, leaner and cleaner than any other manufacturer” says Jerod Shelby, SSC Founder.”[/QUOTE]

he’s the one that mentioned 6 years

You’re ignoring my point. I never said it was involving constant driving, that’s you putting words into my mouth (or text box…) and no one is suggesting that the vehicle might hold that much energy. Bottom line is it must be getting it from somewhere, like maybe the sun, or the heat difference between car and pavement, etc. They are obviously topping it up somehow, isn’t that exactly what you’re saying?

I didn’t make up the six years thing, that is a direct Copy->Paste from their site which it appears they have changed to “several years between charging”

And I still don’t see what I said that was so unreasonable to you. You were suggesting they misprinted it, now you’re saying they were being creative and that I’m making stuff up?

[QUOTE=no7fish;4131]You’re ignoring my point. I never said it was involving constant driving, that’s you putting words into my mouth (or text box…) and no one is suggesting that the vehicle might hold that much energy. Bottom line is it must be getting it from somewhere, like maybe the sun, or the heat difference between car and pavement, etc. They are obviously topping it up somehow, isn’t that exactly what you’re saying?

I didn’t make up the six years thing, that is a direct Copy->Paste from their site which it appears they have changed to “several years between charging”

And I still don’t see what I said that was so unreasonable to you. You were suggesting they misprinted it, now you’re saying they were being creative and that I’m making stuff up?[/QUOTE]

slow down there chief, he was asking about where the 6 years came from… and I was just requoting you.

I did say that they were being creative and ambiguous… but never said anyone was making stuff up. I was saying mntgazer was misinterpreting it. Not you. Bottom line is, we don’t know what they’re doing and they are purposely being vague with the details.

A supercar is going to be built as light as possible. I think we can all agree that the storage in this is enough for some high performance for a little while, but not 6 years. They’ll have to recharge in that time, but they likely mean that it’l hold a charge in storage for 6 years… which is actually revolutionary, thats pretty good storage life.

I read that more as they have come up with a revolutionary way for it to charge itself, as in it will not need a plug-in regharge for that time period. Holding a steady charge for that time is only good if you plan to never drive it.

Again, they aren’t mentioning details… is this revolutionary power source the batteries? or is it the gneration medium through which it gets its power?

See what I mean about marketing? They are purposely being vague. I read it as power source being revolutionary, meaning the batteries, and being able to keep a charge for several years (i see they changed it).

You read it as being able to keep a charge for years, but that it features some alternative power source than batteries.

Batteries are not a power source though, they are a storage device for power.

Yes, I realize they are being vague for a a reason but there are certain things you can conclude from their phrasing.

Who wants to drive a lightweight race car with an onboard nuclear reactor? And people think hydrogen is a tough hurdle to get accepted by the general public. :slight_smile:

Exactly where did I misinterpret? I enclosed the actual quote from the linked site in the original post! Never mind, I’ve had enough of this exercise in hype anyway.

[QUOTE=no7fish;4152]Batteries are not a power source though, they are a storage device for power.

Yes, I realize they are being vague for a a reason but there are certain things you can conclude from their phrasing.[/QUOTE]

actually batteries are an electrical power source.
They store chemical energy, but they are a source of electrical power. They’re a source they convert chemical energy to electrical energy. It just so happens that it can reconvert electrical into chemical.

You can’t neccessarily conclude when your basing alot on assumptions … assuming that batteries are NOT the power source, but that it is powered from some other technology not yet released or some sort of solar, etc.

You CAN conclude, they’re making an electric car, that has 500-1000HP, that has some sort of electrical source onboard, that it recharges.

Assuming that it can go long periods without recharge is flawed, assuming that there aren’t batteries in it is flawed, and this whole damn discussion is flawed because they aren’t detailing the system, they’re vague with the press release :slight_smile:

lets stop arguing and wait for them to release the actual specs, because they’re only a partial “wish list”. Its all guessing right now, I’m just playing devils advocate as well as being a realist.