Someone stole our 2013 E4

Our White 2013 was stolen while my wife was at work. Miami area, specifically Coconut Grove/Coral Gables. Has the magic magnet. The back storage had stake sides that I built from fence and cedar. If they left it on it’s a dead giveaway.

I advise everyone looking into a theft deterrent. Video of the parking lot shows the thief easily walking up and taking it.

Sorry to hear, sounds like the keys were left in it? Or does the video show them doing something with the on/off switch?

That sucks. My worst nightmare. I have an Apple air tag hidden in my car so if it were to go “missing” I might be able to find it.

I turn off my BMS discharge on the battery, can’t be driven. Will keep a lookout for the Cart or the parts online

2 Likes

No keys but he made it out fast. Must be easy to do.

Yeah we have now done that too with our ‘15. If we replace the 13 I’ll do it too. Hope it works if need be.

Thanks, Mike! Still hoping it turns up and didn’t get in a ship to the Caribbean somewhere.

Aw, sorry to hear this.
Yeah, we should advance on the anti- theft plan a bit more

The only thing bad about the air tag plan is that bad guys were using air tags to tag victims and follow them home. Now apple modified their iOS so if someone has an Apple device it will tell them they have been bugged.

I have been using Scott’s big trailer today to collect some equipment and every time I open up my phone it is telling me that an air tag tracker has been following me around all day.

I’m pretty sure Bad guys with Apple phones can see this too. Or maybe we can back trace use it to find out who the bad guys are? I think we can use this as a learning exercise. Let me see if I can find the tracker. I think I saw an option to trigger a location sound from the tracker. At the same time I will ask Scott if he sees that I am the one using his trailer.

Yeah this is all true. It’s not a perfect solution. Could be a deterrent if they do get notified one is onboard. They’d have to find it or ditch the car.

Simplicity of these cars is what I enjoy the most, and ends up being the worst part about them also.

Damn thieves ruin everything.

It would be a nice feature of the BMS software(too bad it’s not open source) would be the ability to enable a Bluetooth Automatic Lock-out feature where just leaving the area would automatically turn off the BMS discharge connection. This way owners wouldn’t be required to bring up the BMS app for every trip.

It would have to be in the BMS firmware unless there could be an addon Bluetooth module( like a ESP32 or standard BLE module ) which watched for your phone’s Bluetooth MAC address and could send the BMS a disconnect message when it doesn’t see the phone(s) MAC address.

I know iphone has an accessibility option or shortcuts where you can make it tap in some places, and then ask siri to do it, maybe it can be set up to turn off discharge from the bms

1 Like

How many more posts before @JarJarJava posts the Trunk Monkey again?

Looks a lot like yours but blue front.
Crooks are dumb and mess up.
I’m in Clearwater and I will keep checking. Bad luck but we need to work as a team against this. Best wishes

The ad might be worth calling for a couple of reasons-

• it could be your car, but using a different picture to deflect suspicion.
  • You will eventually need another car to replace yours. Might as well start shopping.

Clyde called, he demanded royalty payments. Even sent.one of his gorillas to let me know he was serious.

Thanks for looking out. It’s not a bad deal on a ‘13 as well. I’ll am looking for a replacement but will get one with the diamond plate bed. Fwiw the ‘13 was preferred daily driver over our ‘15 for my wife.

Any ideas on why she liked the 2013 over the 2015?

The 13 was smoother riding for whatever reason. The motor also was smoother and less susceptible to corrosion on the brushes after rain.

For me the 13 rear brakes had drums that didn’t corrode as fast as the 15. Also the hardline and braided brake line were better quality.

In all they are very similar. This is just our opinion of our two.

1 Like

I live in Miami I’ll keep my eye out.

I live in Miami too I’ll keep my eye out and I have my park in my business, and I will put a tracking device after this news.
Thank You for the advice.