Another lithium conversion

Another Lithium conversion for this 2011 E2 with Samsung SDI cells from @Inwo here in soFlo.

The owner @GreenLantern shipped the car to me
We installed 22S 90v 7.5kWh with Bluetooth and bms

here some pics of the installation

4 Likes

Everyone knows where to get the battery and bms.
Do you have a link to the rain cover?
I also have some custom vinyl covers ordered.

The bottom is a 3/4 pvc sheet.
Used some 90 degree angles with self tapping screws to hold it in place

The top cover is a 14 gal Tote from Home Depot

cut 7 inch from the base

2 Likes

I picked up The Green Lantern from Gabe less than 24 hours ago. To say I am happy with the results is an understatement…… It is awesome! My Gem is finally the vehicle I hoped it would be.

Here are the first things I notice.

The Green Lantern has much more acceleration than before. The top speed has increased from 30mph to 38mph. It could be 39. The speedometer reads 19, so it’s an honest 38mph. It just feels so zippy now!

I put approx 15 miles on the car so far, so I will update this thread as I figure out how much range I now have. So far, it looks like A LOT.

I had The Green Lantern delivered to Gabe by trailer, the guy who delivered it was somewhat unreliable as to when he could deliver the car back to my home, so I decided I would just drive it home. There was no other way to get home, other than drive on major streets with over 35mph speed limits. There was a lot of traffic too. However, my new Lithium batteries made it easy to stay with the flow of traffic. My friend drove behind me with my car. Gabe thought I was nuts…… but confessed he always wanted to try what I was about to do. I did not receive a citation, so the drive home was successful. Fun too!

My first thought is how nice it is to be able to go over 35mph. I hated being the one that held up traffic. I also don’t feel the need to re-gear or make any other mods to make it go faster……. It’s fine just the way it is now!

I really want to thank Gabe! He did the install extremely fast. Car was dropped off on Thursday and I picked it up on Monday. 4 days. We also texted back and forth later in day so I could show him the screen shots on the BMS. Everything looked fine and was charging perfectly. I also felt quite comfortable with Gabe as he certainly knows what he is doing and projects the confidence in his ability to do upgrade. I had no doubts whatsoever.

Inwo was behind the scene in working with Gabe to recommend the correct upgrade. I got the feeling that they are a loosely organized team that really knows the ins and outs of the Gem Car. This is why I would highly recommend Inwo’s team to anyone that want to convert to Lithium!

I will update this thread with my range and other stuff. So far, I am very happy and glad I sent my Gem Car to Gabe! It’s a night and day difference!

3 Likes

Thank you for the review. LG and I have over 40 of these 22s SDI batteries in the field, and I believe everyone else is just as happy.
So happy that they don’t report miles per charge etc. We still don’t know how to answer mileage questions. 30+ miles in theory, Stop-and-go, speed, hills, jack rabbit starts, can all cut mileage drastically. Hyper mile-ing may hit 40 miles? Who knows.

We have enough inventory to build a few more now. Mid March we will again be fully stocked.

Please let Gabe or myself know before Feb 25th if you need battery in Florida, so I can make sure Gabe has stock.
Closer to Naples? Same goes. I can send a batch to @LithiumGods .

Mid March I will have DIY packs available for FedEx shipping.
Ask about getting them installed in KC or Ca. and me in Mn. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks for the Great Review!! :slightly_smiling_face:

@GreenLantern wants to bring his car to the next level so we are going to install a j1772 charger so he can take advantage of the EV charging stations in the area. He was concerned about losing the 120v regular outlet charging capabilities but I explained that He will be able to charge in 120v plugs too.

This is SO awesome!! I really REALLY need to get this done to my little Gemma.

2 Likes

I just got back from a 25 mile cruise……. I still have 50% battery left on BMS. The dash gage has only 1 bar left, but that is no longer how I check my battery life. I now look at the app.

I am still testing out the range, but so far, it appears to be night and day over the Gel batteries. It’s tempting to not recharge to see how far I can go. I will do that at some point, but not today. However, based on what’s left, 40 to 50 miles on a single charge doesn’t seem ridiculous.

It should be noted that very little of my 25 mile cruise was with the pedal at full throttle. I went cruising from Pompano Beach to Fort Lauderdale Beach, and multiple stops and beach cruising in between.

I will keep this thread updated. At some point I will test maximum range!

3 Likes

Nice data!
How are you keeping track of miles?

As you start going further and further out, you might toss in a nice heavy gauge extension cord for a charging emergency. Probably not more than 25 ft?
See if you can find a couple of big marine battery boxes and fit them into the former spaces of the old batteries on each side of the main battery under seat (like saddlebags?)

1 Like

Actually that’s a great idea

Maybe something like these…

https://amzn.to/3rUMe68

I haven’t measure them yet. But seems like a nice storage place for things that you don’t use often.

or something like this with quick access latches…

1 Like

That toolbox looks like it would seal better. Next time that way I will see if I can find one and measure it.

you can recalibrate your dash gauge so it drops slower and matches your battery pack.

My install was similar - did I invent the upside down tote? Or simultaneous thinking? Anyway, mine is an '07, and I had to cut the aluminum battery box struts to make it work, but with 1/10th the weight on the rear box I’m not worried about it.

I’ve only driven mine in 10º weather so far. Speed is improved, uphill and acceleration are night and day, won’t know anything about range or real top speed until the snow melts. My car is not as fancy as Green Lantern, and I’m building a wooden flatbed for the back, so it will have a little bit of Beverly Hillbillies look to it, but very functional for what I use it for.

Flatbed in progress…

Be mindful of what you are actually placing on this flatbed. You bolted to a couple of minor brackets that were only designed to support a plastic fender system instead of attaching to the nice solid frame.

1 Like

Yes, you did.
Thank you for recycling. :slight_smile:

Skip the blocking.

1 Like

Now all you need is an attorney to patent it. :wink:

Ace hdwr has an attorney too. :wink: