Softer Ride w/ Motorcycle Shocks?

The ride on my e2 is way too harsh. I’m not sure if I have the stock shocks or not. I think they have been replace as the top of the front wheels are leaning outward \ / as if the shocks are to long. This is going to wear out the outside edge of the tires if I don’t change something.

Looking for the specs on the front and rear stock shocks for a 2002 e2. Does anyone know the following information:

1. Eye to eye center length?
  2. Travel length?
  3. Eye diameter?
  4. Spring thickness?
  5. Spring width?
  6. Spring length?
  7. Max Load?

I think I’m going to shorten them up a hair and try to find some shocks with softer springs. I’ve read all about using the Honda Goldwing Air Shocks and a compressor but those things are big and bulky and come with a hefty price tag. Has anyone tried the manual adjustable motorcycle shocks or other motorcycle air shocks?

I’ve attached a couple of pictures.

Donnie

Before you do anything check the toe. Too much toe in forces the wheels out at the top. Too much toe out forces them out at the bottom… A little Positive camber doesn’t hurt anything and looks cool. Mine has positive camber and I like it. You can shim the bottom of the spindle carrier or move the mounting holes on the top shock support if it bothers you. STRONGLY suggest you live with the ride. Softening it will reduce stability. I believe strut free length is 13 1/4 inches center to center.

Note: Common GEM complaint is negative camber. You and I have the opposite situation which I consider a non problem. I put 200 miles a month on my car and tire wear is negligible.

[quote=OLD HOUSEBOATER;25111]Before you do anything check the toe. Too much toe in forces the wheels out at the top. Too much toe out forces them out at the bottom… A little Positive camber doesn’t hurt anything and looks cool. Mine has positive camber and I like it. You can shim the bottom of the spindle carrier or move the mounting holes on the top shock support if it bothers you. STRONGLY suggest you live with the ride. Softening it will reduce stability. I believe strut free length is 13 1/4 inches center to center.

Note: Common GEM complaint is negative camber. You and I have the opposite situation which I consider a non problem. I put 200 miles a month on my car and tire wear is negligible.[/quote]

I’ll check the toe today. I hear you about the ride, maybe I’ll let some air out of the tires to get a little softer ride. That might make the wife a little more happier. I have a Jeep Wrangler and they suggest a hair more of positive toe to help handling / stability. Would you suggest the same for the gem?

1/16 to 1/8. Too much makes them herky jerky.

I’ve got the larger Ride 4 fun wheels and tires and I have let so much air out of them that I look like I’m riding on flat tires. It doesn’t help.

Grant West (gwest)

Did an expensive Honda air shock conversion but ultimately abandoned it. You might want to PM him to get details.

Rodney