Rack and Pinion Steering Question

I have an 06 e2. The steering has gotten so bad I had to install a brodie know to help. its not so bad when moving but starting out is tough.
Does the rack and pinion have a grease fitting? I looked but did not see one.
Has anyone rebuilt the rack and pinion gear box?
Any help is appreciated.
Chet

Never re-built but I have taken the boots off and put some lube on the rack it made a small difference, You can try adding blocks to the spindles that give the rack leverage. Thats what they do on the 2006 2007 cars

Hey thanks for that reply. What do you mean by blocks and where do you put blocks to get leverage I am easily confused.
Chet

Sorry Chet I did a bad job explaining my self. I’ll see if I can take a photo.

In 05 they made the steering Easter by simply changing the Angle of how the tie rods attach to the spindles. These 2 inch square blocks push the angle of the tie rods back so the tie rods are now At a better angle with more leverage

Hmmm? I think I see. The picture will do wonders. Do I make these blocks or are they sold? (with instructions) :blush:

Chet

Does the steering drag when cart is jacked up?

I am going to jack it up this weekend and make sure. It doesn’t drag it just takes a lot of strength to turn the wheel.

Thanks

Chet

Hard steering was pretty much corrected starting with 2005 models and further improved with the 2007 carts. if its hard when your moving you may have binding or lubrication problems. make sure your ball joints are greased. You can also slide the boots back and grease the rack.

I used to make EZ steer units for older carts 30+ but no longer manufacture them.

Rodney

In a message dated 10/12/2018 1:20:26 PM US Eastern Standard Time, electricforum@discoursemail.com writes:

Chet
October 12
I am going to jack it up this weekend and make sure. It doesn’t drag it just takes a lot of strength to turn the wheel.

Thanks

Chet

Boy’s I am embarrassed to admit this but I jacked up the car and the steering was fine. Scratching my head I noticed that the tires were supposed to be kept at 44PSI. They looked a little low. I checked, they were at 12 psi. Pumped them up, steers like new. Thanks for your help.
Chet

Hmmm

30 PSI is normal for most GEM tires. Where did you come up with 44. Must ride like hell.

In a message dated 10/16/2018 5:55:18 AM US Eastern Standard Time, electricforum@discoursemail.com writes:

Chet
October 16
Boy’s I am embarrassed to admit this but I jacked up the car and the steering was fine. Scratching my head I noticed that the tires were supposed to be kept at 44PSI. They looked a little low. I checked, they were at 12 psi. Pumped them up, steers like new. Thanks for your help.
Chet

Found it printed on the sidewall of the tire. It does say maximum 44 psi. It rides rather rough I will check to see if it has a minimum. These are the 14” custom wheels and tires for road use. I figured that by running them low I was wearing out the outside tread. Let them ride high for a while and even it out.

Chet