Question about recent battery replacement in 2008 GEM e4 -- Gel to AGM

Magic magnet moves limiter to 40mph.
Car will not go much faster unless you run higher voltage or reduce field current.
The 22s lithium is 82 volts most of the time and as high as 90 volts after charging. You will notice the higher speed without reprogramming.

1 Like

Moved back into our house this weekend after the hurricane, getting shop setup again. Lots of batteries to get out but shouldn’t take long to catch up. The gem motor will increase HP if you give it more voltage. We raise the voltage with the 22s pack to 89v, your Gem will have a significant increase in power and top speed. Your GE 7hp is one of the best motor for performance increases. It respond well to more voltage. Add a MM or a controller reprogram it rocks. No lead battery made can come close to the performance of a mid voltage lithium pack. We have a device to plug into you charger to mate it to this battery. Easy install, complete package and nothing can beat it.

1 Like

@LithiumGods – Is your 22s mid-range pack the same set-up as the one offered by @Inwo?

The reason I ask is I spoke with @AssyRequired pretty extensively and I believe he told me the only way to get an increase in speed above the factory 25-26mph is to install the Magic Magnet. @Inwo’s setup also requires splicing a “spoofing” diode at the controller to allow the car to drive when it’s charged above 86 volts . . . a common occurrence with the lithium pack. This spoof does nothing to increase speed (I think I have that all right). But you now mention a “controller reprogram” which I believe is different. Does it do the same thing as the Magic Magnet? What exactly is involved with this process and who does it?

Also, what “device” are you referring to that plugs into the charger? @Inwo mentioned needing to add a temperature sensor (thermistor) at the main negative battery terminal to raise the charging voltage. Is this what you are referring to?

I was pretty much expecting to get ZERO increase in top speed with this lithium upgrade unless I added the Magic Magnet. But there are drawbacks to using this device like an inaccurate speedo (unless I switch to kph) and having to act as my own governor when going downhill at top speed (don’t want to explode the motor). Have I got that right?

Just when I think I have a good handle on things . . .

Dave and I split the large order, same battery. Same device to change charger. You can increase speed with a MM or reprogram the controller for higher speed, same result. But if doing a controller reprogram we can limit top speed to what ever you want, have the Gem slow it’s self down if over a certain speed, add regeneration(like Tesla has) and increase top speed higher than a MM if desired. It does require removing the controller and shipping it to me. I also include thermal paste with controller reprograms. It helps dissipate heat for increased durability.

Ok, thanks @LithiumGods. I don’t believe @Inwo offers the controller reprogramming. The way you describe it, it seems more useful than the Magic Magnet because it reintroduces the governor (albeit at a higher speed). My wife and kids also drive my GEM and sometimes they only know 2 positions on the accelerator . . . full on or full off. I don’t want to risk damaging my 7.0 hp motor. Will your controller reprogramming alter my speedo, or will it still be accurate for mph?

What about reprogramming the charger? Do you do that as well? I understand someone developed a custom lithium algorithm, but I was told the stock #13 algorithm also works pretty well.

Is reprogramming the controller and the charger included in your price?

I can reprogram the charger, but the plug in device works well and saves a lot of time removing and shipping the charger. If you prefer it to be reprogrammed just send it to me. Algo #13 without the plug in device won’t fully charge the lithium battery, won’t hurt it but you would give up some range. Gem can’t show speed over 25mph mm and reprograming gets around it by setting to kph and then making the real speed mph 35kph=35mph. Works great. GE 7.0 can handle the additional speed, I ran it on my personal gem @40mph

@LithiumGods - Can you explain what this “plug-in device” is for the charger. I am not familiar.

Also you mentioned the magic magnet and reprogramming are needed to make the speedo read accurately, but you’ll have to switch to kph. So does reprogramming alone (without the magic magnet) not give an accurate speedo?

Sean

We use different resistors on the charger to get different voltage outputs, higher and lower depending on which battery someone buys.

It is MM OR reprogramming. You would not use a mm if you reprogram controller, no need. Both use the kph setting to show speed.

@ScottyD , checking in to see if your Georgia client is the same.
Troy will be near Atlanta in a few weeks for possibly free or discounted shipping.
I can always send more with George/Troy before leaving Mn…

Ps.
If he continues to Fl. may also be able to make hand deliveries for. @LithiumGods .
Return trip via ???