Possibility of an race EV?

Hello guys, I’m new here.

I have a BMW E30 with an 300hp engine that I’m using as an fun/track car. I would like to convert it to an EV. My goal is to make it as strong as possible, to be a race EV. How possible is that? The most EVs are slow cars, made to save money. For me, money is no problem. I would like to start the project as soon as possible but I don’t know if it is even possible to make an EV that strong without being to heavy. What do you think? I was thinking to build in two electric engines (1 engine = 1 rear wheel - no looses trough the gearbox) with two separate battery packs.

Pictures of the car:

Thanks for the answers and greetings from Croatia!

It’s entirely possible. Here’s a video of an electric drag car called the White Zombie. It’s street legal, yet very fast.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3THUk5_jEw[/ame]

The White Zombie was able to make 12 sec 1/4 mile runs on Lead-Acid batteries. The run in the video is on Lithium-Ion batteries. If you were to use some of those new Lithium-Iron-Phosphate batteries the car could go even faster.

yes it definately is possible, i’ve seen someone with a subart racing with a converted motor to electric. he still uses the AWD even just has a bracket between the motor/transmission to connect the two. and he does full short races on it. depending on what your looking at doing with the races (which it looks like your mostly into road racing and not drag racing) you will want something with regenerative braking (so an AC system) and a good deal of batteries… when you remove the gas tank, exhaust, and motor, there will be a lot more room for you to place the batteries lower on the body to keep the “roll” down near the ground.

I’d say your best bet for power to weight is lithium ion. unless you are willing to wait about another year or so for eestor to come out with their nano capacitor batteries. but either way, just make sure to do your research first.

This car was just announced as a potential class in the SCCA;

http://www.westracecars.com/west/news.html

A little update :slight_smile:

Not bad, ha? :smiley: