Ooops, bought another one. 2000 Model year

I have always like the look of the older Gems so when I found an older one going for really cheap I figured it was worth a risk to see if I could get it up and running.

Turns out an Optimate 6 really is capable of bringing back batteries that have sat for more than two years and were less than 0.5v each! The batteries still aren’t great (or the mileage on this sucks compared to my 16’s but they will do until I get everything else sorted.

It does run but is in pretty rough condition.

So my main questions so far…

1. Is it normal for the steering to be so vague and wish washy? It’s so different to the newer generation that it is a little scary at speed. Anywhere specific on the suspension to look for the culprit?

2. Anywhere I can buy the shaped rear seat foam? Or should I just cut a piece out square and put a new cover on it?

3. What holds the seat in on the rear of the 4 passenger model?

4. How can I tell if the motor is on the way out? Batteries are testing as good but they drain really fast when using it. Is this a battery or motor issue? They are Dominator gel batteries.

Thanks!

Ours is a 2002 which I believe is the same. Steering is definitely a bit loose.

Rear bench seat slips under the back and had a single rubber bushing in the middle front that meets a rubber hole on the cross member beneath.

Have someone turn the steering wheel back and forth (just the free play in the steering wheel) while you look at the steering linkages. You should have no play in any of the joints.

Most likely it’s your batteries and not the motor.

I have a 2002, the 2000 is pretty similar there are a few differences, but not that many.

The steering on mine, while you need to muscle it, is not sloppy. You might have worn or lose components.

I’m not sure how the 2000 steering rack is bolted on, but if it’s similar to the the 2002 - scroll about halfway down to the posts from grantwest. I had to do this with mine and it took some slop out. BTW, those bolts are aluminum, so don’t hit them hard with the cutting disk.

Motor in the 2000 was a 3.5 hp. IMO, no loss if it is going out, but as previously mentioned, your batteries are the more likely culprit.

I’m having the same issue with my steering feeling loose on my 2002. Does the entire front suspension frame need to be dropped in order to get to those bolts? I’m planning on drilling holes to get to them afterwards but I didn’t want to drop the frame if there is an easier way to get to them.

They are exposed on my 2002. This is a pre-tightening photo. IIRC, I took up about 1/8 turn on one. I used a bartenders beer bottle opener and a crescent wrench on it to turn them since they are soft aluminum.

Steering

#1 take the play out as instructed in above.

#2 ADJUST THE TOE!!! When wheels are towed out, the cart can be a dangerous wandering bear. For good stability Set toe in 1/8". A bit more doesn’t hurt except for tire wear.

Note. under power wheels will tend to toe in, Off power/braking wheels will tend to tow out. Its best to have excessive toe in to make sure you never reach a toe out condition.

1 Like