Normal noise for transaxel?

haha reminds me of the people who sell inkjet printers for five bucks and charge 20 for a 2 day supply of ink.

[QUOTE=chuckkent;12374 for $7.30 ea. It’s about $10 shipping grrrrrrrrrr so I ordered two.[/QUOTE]

Economy is great if you can afford it! :confused:

[QUOTE=chuckkent;12374]They sell the bumpers (0313-00168) for $7.30 ea. It’s about $10 shipping grrrrrrrrrr so I ordered two.[/QUOTE]

I’ve put about 10 miles on the new bumper and the spline motor/transmission is still very quiet. So lubricating the spline with a good Moly EP grease is very important. I got mine from AutoZone. (Coastal brand) It only needs a very thin coating. Honda makes a 60% moly paste and is supposed to be the best for spline lubrication. I also used this grease to lube the half shafts where they go into the transmission.

The Honda spline grease is the best. It is made for their shaft driven motorcycles. The grease is so good that people will use this stuff on other brands of motorcycle. The BMW motorcycle clubs specifically recommend the Honda brand spline lube.

Honda

how do you get the input shaft bearing out to replace it? I heard the kit is like $350. what all comes with that package?

The shaft and bearings should pull straight out of the gear case.

Daniel

[QUOTE=GEMmechanic;12463]The shaft and bearings should pull straight out of the gear case.

Daniel[/QUOTE]

Wow, great, I thought I might have to use a puller to get the bearing off. The $350 kit is for the input shaft, seal and bearing then I assume?

To take the motor off. Take off the four wires, and then three bolts holding the motor on to the transmission. Once the motor is loose the spline shaft will hold it up. Be careful as the motor is very heavy. Once you pull the motor off, the input shaft is visible and you can remove the snap ring holding the bearing and shaft in place. Make sure you put a new bumper in and lube the spine shaft with moly lube before sliding the motor back on. My noise was coming from the splines not being lubed. Marlon has the best deal on bumpers and he doesn’t hold you up for shipping.

I have removed four of these over the years in order to replace the o ring and bearing. Begin by cleaning off the side of the gear box with brake cleaner. Remove the large snap ring from the bore. You will need a good size pair of snap ring pliers such as NAPA 3150. Gently grip the end of the shaft with a pair of vice grip pliers and pull straight out of the case. The bearing and o ring are available after market and fit all years:

o-ring for transaxle input bearing: 3/32" X 13/16" X 2", 9453K138 Mcmaster-Carr

transaxle input bearing: trade size 6005 double sealed, 6661K88 Mcmaster-Carr

You will need to find out what gear ratio your transmission uses. This is stamped on the gear case or just call the factory with your VIN number. The different ratios are not interchangeable. Below are the GEM part numbers for the three ratios I am aware of. There may well be several others, so be sure before ordering.

trans input shaft for 10.35/1 ratio: 0313-03046
trans input shaft for 12.44/1 ratio: 0313-03047
trans input shaft for 14.76/1 ratio: 0313-03048

Daniel

Marlon, I tried to PM you but I suppose since my account is new it won’t let me. I wanted to try to touch base with you about the issues I was having with my cart and see if you sold the parts. I can grab the drivers side drive axle and rock it back and forth in the transmission, so I assume the bearing is bad. I have some clunking as others have described. I have not begun to take any of it apart yet to see how extensive the damage is. Just checking your thoughts on it. Thanks

I find the 2005 and newer is more apt to getting oil inside the motor. If so, clean all of it out along with the carbon dust. Be sure to replace the o-ring as well. One of ours has been apart twice for this in 20,000 miles. Next time we will pay extra and order Timken brand rather than the Chinese bearings. I believe many GEM parts will be harder to find in the next few years

Daniel

Trans input shaft for 8.9/1 ratio: 0313-03046 - same as 10.35/1[

You will need to find out what gear ratio your transmission uses. This is stamped on the gear case or just call the factory with your VIN number. The different ratios are not interchangeable. Below are the GEM part numbers for the three ratios I am aware of. There may well be several others, so be sure before ordering.

trans input shaft for 10.35/1 ratio: 0313-03046
trans input shaft for 12.44/1 ratio: 0313-03047
trans input shaft for 14.76/1 ratio: 0313-03048

Daniel[/QUOTE]

I drill a 3/16 hole in the bottom of the motor shell on the bearing end. Oil then won’t damage the motor and it will tell you when it’s time to service the bearing. You MUST use RS suffex bearing. RS indicates full contact seal.

[quote=GEMmechanic;15935]I find the 2005 and newer is more apt to getting oil inside the motor. If so, clean all of it out along with the carbon dust. Be sure to replace the o-ring as well. One of ours has been apart twice for this in 20,000 miles. Next time we will pay extra and order Timken brand rather than the Chinese bearings. I believe many GEM parts will be harder to find in the next few years

Daniel[/quote]