No Power on Ignition Checklist

Without changing much in the last year back at key on no power again which started my rampage of figuring out how to rip out everything.

Setup is the following:
4 24v Volt modules at 96v wired to controller and DC Converter.
BMS monitoring/balancing 24s cells
Delta Q Charger with 12v Converter built in wired to pack
Inwo VoltAge spoof
Pack Voltage 92v now, 12v from DQ up and running.
~87v at Controller
~92v at DC Converter and Fuse

I flip on master power switch on and backup alarm will beep if in reverse for approximately a minute. Headlights still original wiring work for about the same amount of time. Switch ignition on, nothing on display, no error code.

Gonna pull dash off again check ignition switch voltage. Hoping that’s the fault as I was going to move that to the Sonoff switch anyway.

Any other measurement points to check before I go back over the entire wiring diagram and start pulling the remainder of the boards and bypassing what I can?

Thanks!

So ignition hot has same voltage as controller, fuses are good so guessing bad DCDC converter. It’s the old style board that was recalled, so probably not a part easy to find.

Revising the diagnosis output wires for contactor have voltage. Gonna check a couple pins on the controller and hope that’s not it. If so anyone know of a good controller you can get config access to?

There are recalls on the DD-DC converter as well as parking brake handle on older GEMs. Visit Polaris and check your VIN.

It took a while and four service tech visits but I just had these fixed in Los Angeles.

The DC-DC fix includes a weather proof enclosure.

Ditto down in San Diego. I was able to get the dealer to replace my DC-DC converter under the recall.

I just looked at the Polaris site and only saw a safety recall notice for GEM years 2011-2016. Where would you find anything for older( 2002 ) models?

Put your vin in.

Thanks. It did show one active recall ( L-13-02 ) yet when looking it up it states only valid for years 2010-2012. It’s a parking brake handle mechanism recall.

@dougl. You’re in SD right? I got cart mart in san Marcos to do it. Hardest part was getting the car there… which they can do pick up and drop off for like $100. They can look up all the recalls for you.

1 Like

@dougl here is the dc-dc recall info.

As soon as I rember the link where you can check your vin, I’ll post it.

1 Like

Here’s the link. I just checked my vin and the recall info is correct.

1 Like

The gem.polaris page shows the 2 recalls against my GEM but says the AUX power supply was applied yet my installed AUX supply looks like the one in the PDF which is to be removed. ie metal box with epoxy poured and a row of connections across the lower edge. Strange.

The DC-DC converter that was replaced under warranty on our cart was a bare circuit board with visible components and no enclosure.

1 Like

Oh my! a bare PCA and it doesn’t even look conformal coated! Good reason to recall/replace.
Maybe they didn’t have a bare PCA unit to use in the Remove/Replace directions on the recall PDF but they’d even cut the wires on the potted one in the pictures so I figured it was the one recalled.

Doing a little bit of reading on that AUX Board recall I see this mention of the potted type PS:

THIS KIT IS DESIGNED FOR THE REPLACEMENT AND UPGRADE OF
THE DC CONVERTER UNIT IN ANY OLDER MODEL GEM VEHICLE
EQUIPPED WITH A SPS POTTED AUXILIARY BOARD OR SPS GREEN
OPEN-FACED DC-DC CONVERTER UNIT. PLEASE REVIEW ALL
INSTRUCTIONS AND POSTED RECOMMENDATIONS THOROUGHLY
BEFORE ATTEMPTING INSTALLATION.

So while Polaris’s VIN lookup says my vehicle had the recall applied, it hasn’t been. :confused:

Yeah, upgrade /replacement dc-dc is sealed with a finned heatsink case. You can.kind of see it in this photo

1 Like