Nissan Leaf Gen 4 battery conversion

Are you in a hilly area? Maybe something going on in the controller drawing so much from pin1.
I would expect 35easy miles from 100ah.
25 miles is what I get from 100ah 22s Spark, but I’m stop and go uphill with big flat tires.

not much of a hill, only 36m gain over ~1.5 miles according to google maps.
Stock 5hp motor. According to the battery spec graph, charging to 3.90V I’m just under 20Ah less than full and I think it’s been going to 3.95V. The spec shows for one bag and the Gen4 module is 4S2P so the 56ah spec equates to 112aH in the modules.

Ya, I was thinking it should be better than 23 miles.

It is what it is. My mileage is terrible.
Lots of variables.

1 Like

I will eventually give it a shot after taking all cells to 4.0V. Charging now and will recheck the avg cell charge voltage when it finishes. Will make one more week at the normal charge and then swap on the Prius tires/wheels which are new low rolling resistance tires. If they fit that is, P175/65R14 on 14" wheels 5.5" wide.

Then will do another 2 weeks of mileage tracking.

Speaking of tires, I’m pretty sure my tires need topping up and will do that when the charge finishes too.

I put a current meter on the battery/charger since I don’t trust the wireless current meter attached. Sure enough, the wireless meter was not showing correctly.

The Zivan charges at about 10A but as it nears the top, it drops to 2.5A. Unfortunately, that’s too high for balancing with the on-battery BMS modules I have. The bypass FETs get quite warm as cells hit the trip voltage and others are a few hundredths volts off. When that happens it takes the low modules too long to top off and other battery modules add to the delay so some bypassing is one for too long.

I either have to figure out a way to reduce the Zivan output current in the charger or externally. Or get another charger with more control.

This page appears to mention a hack of the Zivan NG3 where 2 wires are brought out from the controller board and is used by the BMS to switch the charger from stage 2 charge to stage 3 low current charge. Unfortunately, the link to the instructions on this hack is no longer available…

Where did you find the Gen 4 battery modules? I’m looking to purchase 5 of those modules for a quad conversion. If anyone is selling Gen 4 modules please let me know. I am in the US. Thanks!

I obtained mine from a contact I have at an EV conversion company with long time ties to Nissan and came from Nissan. Was trying to do a larger group buy at the time since I didn’t get the impression they really wanted to “sell” batteries.

Ping @Inwo, IIRc he had purchased a lightly used Leaf battery pack of Gen 4 modules.

OK thanks for the tip. I’ll reach out to @Inwo.
Can you tell me how much you paid for your 5 new Gen 4 modules?

Is it possible to message someone directly in this group? I’m new here and can’t figure out how to send @Inwo a private message.

I paid $450 per module so not cheap…

to private message you can click on the highlighted name and you should see a pop-up with a “Message” button on the righthand side.

I have room for 5 of the double modules. They will be replacing the current Gen 2 stack that I have in my electric quad. I am currently using 10 Gen 2 modules for 72v 66Ah. Based on what I have heard about the Gen 4 modules is that 5 of the double modules will take up the same space but double my capacity to 72v 112Ah and provide up to 1000a peak. Does this sound correct?

Mine sold same day…

How much room do you have?20s%20Bolt%20size
This is two 10s Bolt modules. 160ah

3 Likes

Has anyone gotten hold of any Gen 4 modules recently? I’m looking to swap 7 gen 4’s for my current 14 Gen 2’s that are at about 50% capacity. It should net a large range increase.

What did you guys see for actual usable Ah?

not sure I can answer the “usable Ah” question since my cheap Chinese current meter isn’t accurate and I’ve not bothered to put a WattsUp meter on the AC input when charging to see what’s going in. I only monitor module voltage.

shucks. Are they performing as well as you expected?

with only 116Ah capacity and not all usable I do get good enough performance. I think I listed the mileage I was getting in this thread. I boosted the bms to accept 4.00 v/cell and get another 4 or so miles so about 4 days between charges and just guessing but around 16 miles. I only deplete to 3.60V/cell.

@James_Haggerty , your results with the Nissan Gen2 cells is about normal . I have done 3 of those conversions and all lost a large amount of capacity in about a year . They were made by AESC are not well suited for warm environments . (Nissan actually got sued for this ) I have not done a longevity test yet with the Gen 4 cells to see if they hold up any better . If i find a used Gen 4 module I will bench test it and post results

Currently installing a bolt pack in one of my Gems now . This is a 165ah battery pack . The cells are an advanced LG chem high nickel cell . Very heat tolerant and have a high power density .It is equivalent to 3 sets of Nissan leaf cells and weighs about 1/2 as much . I’m guessing max range should be about 70 miles . Gwest runs this setup .

1 Like

I see where at least some of my confusion about range is coming from-- I didn’t realize at first you all were working on the same model vehicle. (Hence “GEM forum”… duh) I have my Gen 2’s installed in an electric motorcycle and was expecting significantly more useable capacity. If the Gen 4’s have 80Ah or more of usable capacity it would about double my range.

I’ve been charging to 4.15-4.2V per cell using a BMS with pretty good overvoltage protection and individual cell monitor/display. The extra .05V per cell from 4.15 to 4.2 only adds about 1 or 2 Ah which on my motorcycle is equivalent to about an extra mile of range. The Gen 4’s that are currently available are still god awfully expensive, but being able to double or double-an-a-half my range in the same battery package would be awesome.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/I99uVNFUP9JM17EtnePeZGIP7-TVqk6_4TJoPA-LQ_gGUz5GDbUdDV4NpLEMfPlCacoi6WEsESpGTOv5munozOXhKsTiBz8xJB3sH8OophIp_JRlM6a4aup3Y-xxaj7E3rRNbxTX6A=w2400

Not sure if this photo will be viewable by all but it’s a picture of the bike