NEWBIE introducing himself to forum

Vietnam Vet 68 and 69. US Navy EOD, diving,demolition, and bomb disposal. got out in 1970 and went back to school. became an orthopedic spine surgeon retiring from private practice in 2014. now part time taking care of our Veterans at the VA. Am looking for a GEM E4 and ready to pull the trigger. selling my CUB CADET Volunteer as no longer need the 4WD. saw a GEM when I was in Apalachicola, Florida for sale and fell in love with it but it sold before I could contact the owner. Will have lots of questions. First question found a 2010 GEM E4 with hard doors and year old flood batteries. it looks good but has 4618 Miles on it. most miles of any I have seen for sale online. What components should I be concerned about with that mileage? Is that a deal breaker at 5500? Thanks for allowing me to join… david auburn,al

Welcome to the forum .Where are you located ? 5500 for a nice 2010 is a good price . The flooded batteries are a negative . They will last 2-3 years depending on type and how they are taken care of . The problem is the Gem came with Gel batteries and the charger set for those . 99% of the people who put in different types of batteries never change the charger setting . If you dont the batteries wont last long. If they have been in there for a year on the wrong setting they are already damaged .

4600 miles is not that high . I have seen multiple over 20,000 . Let us know how we can help .

great help. thanks. david Auburn, AL

Welcome Home, Brother. Good luck with your GEM search. Plus 1 on miles-not that high, and batteries are the usual maintenance item. Gel cells if you can afford them, AGM is a close second. As mentioned, make sure the Delta charger is set to proper algorithm.

Thanks Sparkee. going to pick up the 2010 this morning 200 miles away. david

Navy , Do NOT tow it backwards ! it will pop out the windshield . The charger is yellow and located under the controller up front . Turn off your main switch in dash . Plug in charger . The lights on the side will flash a sequence for 10 sec . Read the code , Probably 14 . And lets us know so we can get you set up . And post some pictures of your new toy .

I can’t add much to the conversation, but thank you for your service and thank you to all of the Veterans here.

drove 5 hours round trip and did not buy the GEM. pics looked a lot better than the car and it had been bought at auction and the fellow had put new trojan flood batteries in it and was trying to flip it. I came up poor and have spent my life restoring stuff, houses, airplanes, motorcycles, cars. boats ad nauseam and would rather fix one myself than pay someone else to do one poorly. My wife had seen a GEM and wanted one, also stated she did not want My Cub cadet volunteer. On the way back from the dry run stopped and picked up my Cadet to take it home to advertise and sell it. Asked her just to try driving it. She looked at it and said it was not for her. Told her just to try it. She comes back 10 minutes later in love with the Cub Cadet. So that was a profitable 5 hours, no money spent except 35 bucks in Gas. Also A very beautiful drive from Auburn to the foothills of the Appalachians in Alabama, and a happy wife. I appreciate your kind offer of help and I am sure the story does not end here. david

1 Like

You are welcome. It is an honor to serve our Veterans. david

Once again, at the end of the day pleasing the wife is what it ultimately is all about.

Thank you for your service to our nation.