Newbie Battery Question

Make sure you turn the master switch off so the batteries don’t lose any power until you use the car. While the car is still plunged in after ( and during) the charge, look under the driver side front fender, look up at the yellow charger. There are some colored lights. They could be yellow, red, or green. What do you see? If they are blinking, try to see what sequence they are blinking, like 2 then a pause then 2 over and over again. It may help to figure out if there is a problem with the charging sequence or not. Barry🚄

Great news!

You don’t mention how old these batteries are. My recommendation is if they are “older” say four [maybe even three] or more years old, I’d consider replacing them all at once rather than piecemeal. I’ve done the piecemeal approach and it didn’t turn out well at all. Replacing first one battery and then another a few months later when a second one failed. In the end for reliability and finally in frustration I replaced the entire pack ($$$ gulp!) at once and been much happier with that approach. The entire pack is now “aging gracefully” and predictably. Reliability and overall performance has been much better.

If the pack is only a year or possibly two years old, you are probably safe buying a single replacement battery or even better, if the batteries are still under warranty, using the warranty.

If I’m looking at the right place, I see 2 yellow lights on solid. No blinking or anything. What does that mean?

But - unfortunately, it was plugged in all day and it’s still sitting at 1 red bar of charge…not sure why.

The batteries are relatively recent.

Thoughts?

Sitting for 4 months without attention can damage batteries especially if the main switch was left on.

Suggestion 2 hours after charging measure and chart the voltage on each battery.

If 5 of them are close replace the dud with the same type. If the others are all over the map replace them all.

I guess I missed what the current batteries are. What brand, type and model are they?

Google Gem Delta-Q charger trouble guide. It will tell you what the lights mean. You probably have 1 or more bad batteries. If they are not to old see about the warrenty and or just replacing the bad battery. Even new batteries can go bad. I assume that since it is a 2008 that they are gel batteries. They are probably about $300.00. If replacing only one you must keep the same kind, be they either gel or flooded. If you change the whole set from one type to another you must also change the Delta-Qs (charger) charging algorithm (charging set up). Barry🚄

I just purchased a 2005 GEM el that had been sitting with dead batteries for about a year. They were all just about dry. Never had water added their entire life. I added about 1 gallon of distilled water per battery and charge them. Only get about a mile before they go dead again. I am thinking of buying Trojan T-1275 batteries as replacements. Any batteries better or worse, that are in the same price range. Any comments will be appreciated.

Trojans are great. I also use them in my motor home. They are going on 8 years. Barry​:bullettrain_side::metro:

Thank you Barry, The T-1275 a good choice?

So I’m not sure why it took 2 days, but the car charged up fully! It also sat all day without being plugged in and it kept its charge!

So I’ll be driving it to work tomorrow!!

Thanks everyone for your support and advice! I’m sure if something else comes up, I’ll come back to this great forum for more suggestions.

YAAY. Take your extention cord to work with you. I have distance anxiety disease. That’s the disease that always worries if you will make it home. I acquired the disease the first time I was exposed to the red turtle. If it shows up on your dash board and the car will go only at a turtles speed. You probably have a bad battery. You may see your power bars on the dash go suddenly from showing plenty of power to the yellow or red bars. This is when the disease will manifest. It’s ugly. You will be short of breath, and your heart will beat faster. You will acquire a nasty habit of always having your cell phone on and a facial tic of always making sure its charged with the tow companies number on voice recognition so your shaking hands don’t have to dial it. I hope I haven’t offended any one. As you can see no one has friended me. Well, all that aside. Have a great day at work! Barry.:bullettrain_side::metro:

T-1275 are great batteries if they will fit. Make sure you measure them carefully. Barry.