New Think Owner Here - Have Questions

Greetings everyone.

I bought a Ford Think from someone that is in pretty awesome condition for a smile and a handshake… I’ve been looking for an NEV/Street Legal Golf Cart for some time and I couldn’t turn down the price.

Having said that, I wasn’t really looking for a Think as my primary selection, so I didn’t do the same amount of due diligence that I did with the GEM or with the Club Cars… so I have a few questions.

1. The console, which I have read is a PITA, has already been replaced. I dont know if it was OEM or one of the ones someone had updated to withstand the power surge from the high to low voltage. Is there a way for me to check so I know if this is something I have to look forward to like some of you have (the failure of the console).

2. I haven’t looked for myself, but I read that there is an on/off switch underneath the drivers seat, is that something I need to be messing with ever? IE: When its plugged in charging or when it’s just sitting. The guy I bought it from said he leaves it plugged in all the time, I however coming from racing RC cars and knowing not to leave a battery plugged in unless it has a shutoff, has me wondering what I’m supposed to do and how I can check to see if it’s one of the upgraded chargers or not.

3. The speedometer doesnt work. I was told this is because it wasn’t hooked up when the console was replaced. He pointed to a little tiny piece of electronic that was on the right, rear axle, that he said needed to be plugged in or replaced.

4. The battery bar immediately drops one after a minute or two of driving it once unplugged. I have yet to take it on a long trip to test it out because I just registered it today. Is this normal when batteries are replaced? He said he replaced them in 2012… I have yet to look to see when these batteries were mfg’d or what kind they are.

5. Does anyone know the bolt pattern? I’ve been looking for a week and I have not found anything definitive

6. What are my options to increase the speed some? New motor? PRogram the speed controller? It has some decent pickup, but you can never have enough power! :slight_smile:

7. There is an overhead audio option… has anyone else installed this or have they retrofitted an audio system in there car and if so, how?

8. Anyone add LED lights to the undercarriage of their Think? If so, did you use standard 12v LED kits?

Thats all the questions I have written down that I’ve wanted to ask… I see there isn’t that much activity in this forum, so hopefully someone sees my question and can help alleviate me of any questions I may have.

I’m in Tampa Florida if anyone knows of a place that I can take my Think to to have it looked at/serviced/updated/whatever.

Thanks a bunch guys!

PS - feel free to give me any tips/tricks/advice on secret ways to make the Think more enjoyable!

Clyde

The counsel on a think is the biggest problem item. 2012 batteries could be good could be bad. What type brand and model # are they. Is your controller an GE *****E1

Stock Thinks had a 4 hp motor not much redundency for increased performance however motor change and reprogramming can wake it up. Take 3 houres and read all the posts in the GEM sub forum. most items apply to your think.

Plugging in the charger when you drop 4 bars is good practice. I plug my GEM every 2 days. I use it a lot though.

How could I tell which model the controller is?

I’m pretty good with electronics, just never messed with an EV before so I’m approaching this with a lot of trepidation.

Is the lug pattern the same as a GEM? 4x100?

Sticker on the controller

4x100 should be right

[quote=OLD HOUSEBOATER;29103]Sticker on the controller

4x100 should be right[/quote]

Thank you for replying so far…

…one more question regarding the rims (my primary concern right now).

What’s the largest diameter rim that will fit underneath?

Rim size is not the problem. Tire diameter is. You should be able to measure how much clearance you have and size accordingly.You don’t have much horsepower .

Big tires take power and affects range. 22inch diameter is good 23 could be pushing it

The idea is to go super low-pro on the tires with a larger rim… I’ll keep that in mind when figuring out the overall diameter of the tire/rim combo.

1 Like

[quote=OLD HOUSEBOATER;29103]Sticker on the controller

4x100 should be right[/quote]

Are Think and Gem the same?

I remember your post on 100mm versus 4".

I tried both on my Gems and was not happy with the 4X100 fit. It did work!
My gems are 4X4" for sure.

My advice would to get the right fit if you can.
If it saves money, either one will work.

Wish I knew how to find out what the fitment was. I’ve emailed every company on the web that works on Thinks. Have yet to receive a response. Could always order blank centers and have a machine shop drill them, but they’d have to be perfectly aligned or the wheels will be off balance… which I’d rather not do.

Still wish there was an easy way to get the motor and speed controller updated so I didn’t have to screw with it. I’m seriously considering just fixing this Think up and selling it for a small profit and then looking for a GEM like I had intended since they seem mcuh more common and easier to work on.

:-/

[quote=Clider;29111]Wish I knew how to find out what the fitment was. I’ve emailed every company on the web that works on Thinks. Have yet to receive a response. Could always order blank centers and have a machine shop drill them, but they’d have to be perfectly aligned or the wheels will be off balance… which I’d rather not do.

Still wish there was an easy way to get the motor and speed controller updated so I didn’t have to screw with it. I’m seriously considering just fixing this Think up and selling it for a small profit and then looking for a GEM like I had intended since they seem mcuh more common and easier to work on.

:-/[/quote]

Go to Ebay for golf cart tires and wheels. Diameter is easy offset is not.
Be sure that the offset in oversize wheels is right for your car.

Since you brought it up; IMHO If you can get out of it without loss DO IT!!! You have an orphan that was only made 1 model year. GEM is a MUCH better way to go. You are going to spend a lot of money on parts with minimal increase in value of the overall package.

Example: $600+ tires and wheels - $350/600 Motor - $620/$1200 Batteries and you still have a THINK

LOL. Understood.

I may list in on eBay today and see if I get any bites. I got it for less than it’s worth by a good amount, so I can get out of it no problem. I’ve just had a hard time finding GEMs near me. I’d much rather have a newer GEM for sure… they look better lifted anyways and like you said, have a huge support for parts. I kind of just jumped on this due to the cost without having done enough due diligence (like I have on the GEM).

[quote=OLD HOUSEBOATER;29107]Rim size is not the problem. Tire diameter is. You should be able to measure how much clearance you have and size accordingly.You don’t have much horsepower .

Big tires take power and affects range. 22inch diameter is good 23 could be pushing it[/quote]

I have several Ford Thinks with different tire sizes alters actual speed using GPS 22mph Speedo shows 25mph with pimp style wheels and tires 205/30/12 about 20inches tall. The other Ford Think has 23" Tires Speedo shows 25mph GPS shows 27 almost 28mph. The velocity stays with the wheels when moved to another Think. I have several sets of OEM steel 12" rims available from wheel upgrades if anyone interested, send pm…

Ford Thinks have a 4x4 bolt pattern.

1 Like