New GEM Lithuim progress

I’m draining the batteries, on the GEM, down right now so I can move it out of the shop. I’ll plug it back in and monitor the cell voltages like you suggest.

6.8volt spoof is in the mail.
See if it gets above 92.4v. (new hvc)
Oops, it better not with 22s. :slight_smile:

I charged it back up again tonight and baby set it all the way. The highest voltage that I saw was 89.80. I also noticed that when it got to 88.2 the fan slowed down. That used to be when the LED went from red to yellow on the old algorithm.

That should be just right for 22s.
The 6.8v spoof should work too.
Looks like your good to go. If the cells are all pretty close it should be safe to use without checking every time.

My charger that Dave sent me stops at about 83v every time so far and my pack has been. 82.9-83v and even at every module so far.

Troy Hoggard’s iPhone

That’s 4.15 per cell in your configuration, which is full up.
Mike suggest a little lower for long life. No problem, I do 4.2 sometimes.
You can do that by changing profile, or better yet, just set to 4.1 in BMS-24.

ps.
Get me the picture and I’ll help with the bms wires.
I think Todd has the same. just 22s instead of 20s.
He may have some tips.

I drew this for a customer.
Helpful?

Not a lot for a newbie but I got something from jeff. I’ll send it

Yes, they are the ones I was looking for.
Post them for Todd.

Thanks to Jeff for doing the work to get these. Nakedwaterskier👍🏾

1 Like

11 hours after the charger shut off my individual voltages are between 4.046 and 4.057. The 4.046 is kinda down there by itself, the next closest is 4.050.

Thanks to all involve for posting the wiring diagrams. Since my charger doesn’t have an enable circuit will I need two relays to be able to control it with the BMS?

Todd ,

don’t worry to much about those low variances . your talking 1/100th of a volt . I’ve been running my leaf cells for 2 years and some are about 1/100th apart . since your not pushing them to their limits it does not matter . you well find that they are farther apart at a low charge . It takes a very very small amount of power to change cell voltage on the lower end , so again don’t worry about it . as long as you keep them above 3.0 and mostly below 4.1 they well be very happy .

Also remember they prefer not to be stored at full charge . if your not going to be using the cart keep the cells in the 3.5 to 3.8 range . when I travel for a few months I set them to there and disconnect the main switch , they hardly change voltage at all.

And you don’t have to recharge them after each use , if you do a lot of short trips just recharge them when they get low

I read in one of the forums that 10 Leaf modules won’t fit up front in a 2 seater. Here’s how I put 11 up front.

2 Likes

Looks good to me! I like it.

So I left the lights on most of the day yesterday to try to drain the battery down below 86 V, it got down to about 87.8, so I left the lights on all night. When I went out to the shop this morning Sounded like some relay was clicking away And it was at 56.7 V.

get those charged above 3.0v/cell asap. but I doubt it well hurt them at that level

I’m already in the process, but what caused them to discharge that fast? With just headlights.

1 Like

CALCS/NUMBERS CHECK PLEASE

2002 Gem Car with Zivan Charger OEM

BMS 24 Chargery.com

Battery Chemistry Lithium with lithium-manganese-oxide nickel oxide Cathode

Each Cell is rated at 32.5Ah
20 times 32.5 Ah = 650 Ah

Max. Cell Voltage 4.2V times 20 = 84V

Nominal Cell Voltage 3.75V times 20 = 75V

20 Cells x 500W = 10 kWh

USE ONLY 80% OF CAPACITY TO PRESERVE CYCLE LIFE
SO MAX DESIRED CELL VOLTAGE:
4V times 20 = 80V

CUT THAT TO 78V TO BE COMPATIBLE WITH GEM SYSTEM

MAX CELL VOLTAGE 3.9V times 20 = 78V

MIN CELL VOLTAGE 3.0V times 20 = 60V

The Nissan Leaf battery pack is made of 192 Lithium-Ion (LiMnO2) cells, in a 96s2p configuration.
Each cell is 32.5Ah @ 3.75V nominal, (3.2V - 4.2V). Four cells per module in a 2s2p configuration.
And with 48 modules in the pack, this results in a 65Ah @ 360V.

SO AMP HOURS ARE WRONG

2002 Gem Car with Zivan Charger OEM

BMS 24 Chargery.com

Battery Chemistry Lithium with lithium-manganese-oxide nickel oxide Cathode from 2013 Nissan Leaf

Each Cell is rated at 32.5Ah

Max. Cell Voltage 4.2V times 20 = 84V

Nominal Cell Voltage 3.75V times 20 = 75V

20 Cells x 500W = 10 kWh

USE ONLY 80% OF CAPACITY TO PRESERVE CYCLE LIFE
SO MAX DESIRED CELL VOLTAGE:
4V times 20 = 80V

CUT THAT TO 78V TO BE COMPATIBLE WITH GEM SYSTEM

MAX CELL VOLTAGE 3.9V times 20 = 78V

MIN CELL VOLTAGE 3.0V times 20 = 60V

The Nissan Leaf battery pack is made of 192 Lithium-Ion (LiMnO2) cells, in a 96s2p configuration.
Each cell is 32.5Ah @ 3.75V nominal, (3.2V - 4.2V). Four cells per module in a 2s2p configuration.
And with 48 modules in the pack, this results in a 65Ah @ 360V. I am using 20.