New 2016 GEM to be launched on 26th October 2015

The simple fact is, if it isnt broke, dont fix it!

Polaris seem to have over cooked this new look - why didnt they just do an updated version of the popular GEMs?

IMHO

They should keep making the old model and call it the Classic and the new model the Commercial

[quote=OLD HOUSEBOATER;27010]IMHO

They should keep making the old model and call it the Classic and the new model the Commercial[/quote]

WE HAVE A WINNING IIDEA!! Polaris, Give that man a free GEM CAR[B][U]…A 2015 model[/U][/B].

Accepted:clap2:

You need to mail us the funds for the sales tax and shipping fee first. Based on the new $20K sales price… Thank you, Please cash only. :faint:

No problem, I think I would rather pay COD though.

Should GEM be a company in its own right rather than part of a larger group? Perhaps future vehicles would then reflect what GEM fans want to see?

Who is up for a buy out :slight_smile:

IMHO

GEM sales aren’t at a level, at this point in time, to be a self supporting organization.

To support Engineering, Development, Sales, Government compliance etc. in today’s business climate ,requires tons of support.

Being part of a large group where support services are shared makes the existence of GEM viable.

Agreed!

IMHO at the price/performance point and annual unit sales GEMs are at I can’t see it ever being much more than a niche market or part of larger company like Polaris. If they could sell them new at $5000-$8000 range I think maybe they’d be viable. At $10,000-$20,000 each for new machines there are simply too many other options with more usability (practicality, range, speed, creature comforts) available. That’s really close to the cost of a low end and smaller gas powered vehicle with more speed, range and year-round drivability. Realistically who would pay that much money for a car with limited range, top speed and user-friendly options other than a few die-hard enthusiasts like those on this NG or a very, very niche market (e.g. campus security maybe). It’s just not a mass-market appeal product. Don’t get me wrong, I love my GEM but it’s really a summer-time, good weather toy for local commutes and I could never justify buying a new one. And unless you have mass market product with thousands of units per year in sales I don’t see how the economies of scale could work out as a standalone company. Tucked into a larger firm where the costs can be amortized over a number of niche vehicles yes. I suspect the initial purchase of many new GEMs was largely supported by the federal/state tax credits available several years ago for electric vehicles. Once that expired, I’d bet the sales dropped substantially.

"I suspect the initial purchase of many new GEMs was largely supported by the federal/state tax credits available several years ago for electric vehicles. Once that expired, I’d bet the sales dropped substantially. "… A Randall

[B]WE HAVE A WINNER![/B]

Just curious as to any estimates on total GEMs sold? I’ve seen 50,000 to 75,000 units estimated for their entire production life with the bulk of those sold in CA. Don’t know how solid those numbers might be though. Be a really interesting analysis on yearly sales figures. Probably some DOT database has the numbers but I’m not aware of it.

As a personal note, I know of only one new GEM purchaser. She bought her GEM (a 2 seater) several years ago in NY state when the list price was $7500. Using electric vehicle credits available from the feds and the state, she paid only $3500 for her new GEM. She drives it only occasionally around Kelly’s Island in Lake Erie but relies chiefly on her gas powered golf cart as her daily drive. She’s been disappointed with the maintenance costs of the GEM (batteries primarily but any service requires a very expensive pick-up/drop-off charge from a mainland dealer in Cleveland).