Need some EV advice

Hello,

I am looking to purchase a new car. The Sebring convertible I purchased a couple of years ago developed an overheating problem and has been burning oil for a while and I have instead been driving my utility van which drinks gasoline and I have decided that it is time to finally get the sebring out of the driveway.

My preference would be to get an electric vehicle, but I am not going to pay $40,000 for an automobile. There is also no way I am going to convert an automobile myself. I don’t have the tools, engine hoist, etc. nor do I have a garage to work in so it just isn’t feasible.

I am looking for some input on what I should do. Purchase something used? Have something converted? Forget it?

I commute about 15 miles each way and I don’t have anywhere to recharge uptown so I would need something with a 40 mile range. I also need to be able to go at least 45mph, but that would add some distance to my trip since I would have to go take some back roads. 55mph would be preferable. I am also 6’3" and 230lbs so the size of the driver compartment is important.

Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks for any help!

dman,
wondering where you are located, as that may effect where/ what is economical. also, http://www.preparedness1.com/electric_vehicles.htm has finished vehicles for sale.

Hello roverthetop,

I am in the Charlotte, NC area.

Sounds like the Mitsubishi Miev would be right up your alley. Lots of head room, roomy, and about a 65 mile range. Check with your local dealers. On the West coast the dealers are just receiving them. Sticker price about 30K, but with rebates, actual cost is about 20K.

psyfly…you are right on the money!

MiEV / Mitsubishi i Electric Vehicle / Mitsubishi Motors

check out the web site! I actually work at a Mits dealer so if you have any questions just hollar. I am in the Chicago area and we are just now starting delivary.

Hi Carmama,

Actually I did have a question which you may help with, and may be relevant to other prospective buyers: When I paid for the I Miev, I purchased their Diamond Star Protection Plan - supposed to be bumper to bumper 10 yr/100K plan. Usually I pass on this type of warranty, but with this brand new technology, I thought it might come in handy.

The only thing I have written is their pamphlet - which is for a gas type vehicle. So far, the dealer says that’s all they have, and kind of shrug their shoulders. Do you know if there is any more info on an electric car protection plan? Future customers need more reassurance than a pamphlet, as they feel they are taking a risk on the car anyway.

Thanks, Psyfly

that is a good question. let me check into it.

[QUOTE=psyflyjohn;10842]Hi Carmama,

Actually I did have a question which you may help with, and may be relevant to other prospective buyers: When I paid for the I Miev, I purchased their Diamond Star Protection Plan - supposed to be bumper to bumper 10 yr/100K plan. Usually I pass on this type of warranty, but with this brand new technology, I thought it might come in handy.

The only thing I have written is their pamphlet - which is for a gas type vehicle. So far, the dealer says that’s all they have, and kind of shrug their shoulders. Do you know if there is any more info on an electric car protection plan? Future customers need more reassurance than a pamphlet, as they feel they are taking a risk on the car anyway.

Thanks, Psyfly[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Carmama;10904]that is a good question. let me check into it.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Carmama. I think Mitsubishi should be more aggressively promoting the I Miev. Nissan is doing very well in this regard, and their sales show it.

Any extended warranty info would be highly appreciated.

[QUOTE=psyflyjohn;10905]Thanks Carmama. I think Mitsubishi should be more aggressively promoting the I Miev. Nissan is doing very well in this regard, and their sales show it.

Any extended warranty info would be highly appreciated.[/QUOTE]

I’m sorry, I haven’t found anymore info then you. My owner is currently obsessed with the I car, so I posed the question to him. he is going to get back with me. I will let you know what I find out.

[QUOTE=Carmama;10911]I’m sorry, I haven’t found anymore info then you. My owner is currently obsessed with the I car, so I posed the question to him. he is going to get back with me. I will let you know what I find out.[/QUOTE]

Still a tthis time Mitsubishi has not updated any information specific to the i-car on the Diamond Care Protection, I am sure they will update the information at some point in the near future. I will keep you updated as I find out more.

Thanks Carmama! I patiently wait…:yo:

[QUOTE=Carmama;11230]Still a tthis time Mitsubishi has not updated any information specific to the i-car on the Diamond Care Protection, I am sure they will update the information at some point in the near future. I will keep you updated as I find out more.[/QUOTE]