My 2002 GEM Loosing power

Hi everyone. I just started having problems with the speed of my car. My car is converted from 6 deep charging cell to 4 Lithium 83V 30ah batteries. I converted to lithium about 3 years ago and everything was going great, was running 27 mph. Last week I went for a ride and after a couple of miles I started noticing a little speed decrease, it was running 23 mph kept on going and by the time I got home (about 40 minutes later) it was making 18 mph. Besides the losing speed everything else sims to be ok. Checked my batteries the readings are, two 83.7, one 83.9 and one 83.6 and is not moving or giving me any code except for number 4 and when I take the hand break of it will not move forward or reversed or any code. Had anyone had a similar problem. Any assistance will be appreciated.

Jack up the rear end, rekease the hand brake, and see if the rear wheels spin freely. Early tears, i mean years, are notorious for rear brakes dragging.

Are you reading voltage in the battery app, or after disconnecting batteries?

Are you still using these batteries?

You revealed only 3 battery voltages so I suspect that one battery is not functional? That is your first clue.

Being a 72v battery x 4, This means all batteries are tied together in parallel. There is a chance that one or more batteries is failing, but it is difficult to tell which it is when they are still connected to each other. You need to disconnect and check each battery as an individual. Those volt meters mounted on the battery may be in influence by the other batteries in the set.

When you said you checked your batteries (with the above numbers) was that after charging? Run a brake stand test on each battery and see how fast each one takes a digger.

1 Like

@AssyRequired nope, he stated 4 battery voltages. You are skimming too fast.

You are skimming too fast.

Ah! You are correct. Good catch. Mixing text and numerals in a way I was not expecting. Listing it that way saved a comma and a period? That is something that could make a person miss the moon!!

I still think this is all one V reading. What those displays are showing is probably slight differences in the meters. This also looks like a V reading while being charged or after charged. It is not really a useful clue as to what might be happening at this point.

I still want to see what happens when the batteries are disconnected from each other.

Backstory
I first ran into this oddity when two Big Battery packs were hooked together. One was ON, and when tied into the common bus bar the display on the second BB pack also lit up like it was active (but it was not).

I am also interested in this final quote that needs clarification:

and is not moving or giving me any code except for number 4 and when I take the hand break of it will not move forward or reversed or any code.

FYI-> the -04 is a code. Yes, it will keep your car from moving. When you drop the hand brake it should clear. Confirm (Y/N?).

No one expects the spanish inquisition either!

minutia matters much

1 Like