May not be charging

When I hook the charger up on my GEM e2, and flip the switch near the fuse box to on, the cluster lights up and the charging symbol is on. The charging bars show charging for about 15 seconds and then they stop. But then the bars stop with the red, yellow and three green bars still lit up, but not moving.

Is the charger shot or what should I check?

What yr GEM? Whats the voltage of the battery pack?

This is the sticker off of it.[quote=“steve7550, post:1, topic:17919, full:true”]
When I hook the charger up on my GEM e2, and flip the switch near the fuse box to on, the cluster lights up and the charging symbol is on. The charging bars show charging for about 15 seconds and then they stop. But then the bars stop with the red, yellow and three green bars still lit up, but not moving.

Is the charger shot or what should I check?

Manufactured 8/1/2005
72 volts (6 12 volt batteries)

Why would the switch be off? It needs to be on before starting a charge cycle.
Watch the leds next to the power input to charger.
It will tell a story as per dq manual.

The switch was on.

What do you mean by, It will tell a story as per dq manual.

The switch was on.

What do you mean by, It will tell a story as per dq manual.

On before plugging in? :thinking:
Count the blinks. It will tell you what is going on with the charger. Charge level, errors, etc.

I haven’t seen anything blinking. Where and what should I look for?

At the charger where the power cord enters.

Bend over and look over the drivers side front tire towards the center of car-Red/yellow or green LED lights on the charger will give you a code

1 Like

Here are pictures of the lights.

It’s charging at full rate when the bottom, in picture, led is on.

Looks like it is working per your picture the led will slowly work it way up the tree until you have a green light in the top section.
If you are not getting red lights the charger thinks things are “good”.

Could you tell me what the other two lights are for.

I think that the problem was me plugging it in and then turning the switch on.

Thank you

Yes, Main breaker must be on FIRST, then plugin.

I charged it overnight. Tried to back it up, but only went about two feet and then it stopped.

Plugged the charger back in and on the charger underneath the top red light is flashing twice. The yellow one just under that is on.

Twice is dead battery or bad connection to battery.

1 Like

You have to be above like 65v for the charger to kick in - try putting another battery in line to get your voltage up high enough for the charger to kick in, once you are mostly charged you can remove the extra battery and let it charge up to the correct voltage. I have had to do this many times when people “forget” to charge for months, or run the car so low while driving that voltage drops under min. charge limit.

It showed full charge until I tried to move it.

You can check with a voltmeter to find the bad battery or connection.
Or shotgun it. Remove and clean each battery connection.
“Tight and bright” Rodney

With a high resistance battery or connection, voltage will go high charging, and go low under load.

If you can wiggle connections enough for car to move. Run against the brakes to heat up the bad connection. See if one gets warm.