Making an "electric turbo" (or a "mild Hybrid")

Hi, I joined this forum because i want to do something, and i would like to get feedback on whether this is even plausible.

I have an older sports car that doesnt so much have a sports engine, its a fairly efficient 4cylinder but it has no real power, if it was the turbo version it would, but its not.

I want to change that using an electric motor, but i dont want to make a complete change away from my ICE yet, though the future may alter that path.

my plan is to make my 4 cylinder engine more economic during times when its least efficient (idle, low rpm torque, etc) by adding an electric motor to the mix.

I originally tossed around the idea of adding direct torque to the drive shaft, but there is way to much movement of the shaft in relation to where i would mount the motor to make it effective, plus I am at the wrong end of the drive train to truly be useful.

someone tossed out the idea of attaching directly to the crank shaft.

well, it seems possible, maybe attach a motor in place of the alternator, buy a extra strength serpentine belt and voila.

theoretically i could stop and start the motor this way. and i could add torque for acceleration throughout the entire rpm range.

I did some research and was told this is the general idea behind a mild hybrid, where the motor is only used to supplement and cannot replace the ICE completely, at all. supposedly these cars exist, but i couldnt figure out where.

what do the experts of electric forum have to offer me?

I know its much like a band aid to the real problem of removing the ICE completely, but if i can do this, its proof to others that this technology isnt out of reach to the average man.

and if i can add low rpm torque to my car, i should be able to take my GF’s brand new V6, finally. :wacko:

An interesting concept, and one that I have actually seen working.

A company called Connaught Engineering in the United Kingdom (http://www.connaughtengineering.com/) have developed a bolt-on hybrid system for light commercial vehicles that does pretty much what you’ve described. In place of the alternator, you have a CVT gearbox connected to a Lynch electric motor.

When pulling away, the Lynch electric motor is engaged and provides additional torque to the motor, helping the vehicle pull away. When the van has got up to speed, the motor then switches off and the CVT gearbox goes into neutral thereby reducing the amount of friction on the motor.

When the driver takes his foot off the gas pedal, the CVT gearbox re-engages and the motor works as a dynamo, recharging the vehicle battery plus an ultra capacitor. When the driver presses the brake pedal, even more charge is pumped into the battery and ultra capacitor.

When the driver then accelerates again, the energy stored in the ultra capacitor is fed back through the motor to provide assistance to the engine.

The result is a mild hybrid design, resulting in an additional 20% plus improvement in fuel economy in urban and city driving, and an overall improvement in the region of 15%.

As a DIY project though, I’ve got to warn you - you’re taking on a huge job. It would be great if you could do it though - good luck!

thank you, very much, i have emailed the company asking for advice, literature, etc. I live in America so they arent likely to sell me anything, but their hybrid+ product definitely sounds like what im looking for.

Connaught Engineering have aspirations for the American market as well as the UK, so I would hope they would get in touch with you.

they have not replied back…

it’s a nice car, good interior/exterior nice all-wheel-drive performance, i am sure you’ll love it

Auto Transport & Car Shipping Company | Online Transport Quote or Call Us!