Locking out motor in when in neutral

In order to prevent the possiblity of overspinning the motor, either in missing a shift or forgetting the car in neutral at startup, has anyone considered a sensor or switch that shuts down power to the motor when the transmission is in the neutral position. I figure the more I can make my conversion “■■■■■ proof” for myself and others who may share the vehicle, the better. Or will this just lead to other driveability problems? Or is an overspin sensor all I need?

Drdonh

There would be a definate benifit doing this as I have missed the gear a couple of times and revved the motor. Not overrevved but I also have let many other people drive my car and they are clumsy with the shifting at first. If you put a rev limiter on your car it would still let you rev it in neutral.

I’m hoping to press the go-pedal for the first time this week with all the necessary basics done on my s10 - with the rest of the gauges and other “refinements” such as heat etc. to be done as time and funds permit.
This “feature” is definitely up there on my wish list.
Here’s hoping someone can point us to the links or plans or advice about the best way to implement it.

I’m thinking a cut-out relay/contactor tied into the neutral start switch (clutch pedal) left over from the ICEage. Problem with this is that it won’t help much if the shifter is simply bumped out of gear. I suspect we will still need an RPM sensor as well. I’m using a Curtis controller (no RPM sensors like I think some other controllers might have.) Some aftermarket cruise controls have this sort of over-rev sensor, but they’re tied into the ignition coil to pick up rpm readings.

As always, many thanks to all of you who have contributed to my learning curve.
Bob

It’s too bad there wasn’t a neutral sensor already on the tranny. For safety in my setup I will have my microprocessor monitoring the RPMs and as someone already mentioned put a rev limiter on it. The microprocessor will be able to trip a relay that will trip the secondary contactor in my setup. This really ends up solving two safety issues. Neutral reving, as mentioned, but also over reving while driving the vehicle in gear.

[QUOTE=bblocher;4753]It’s too bad there wasn’t a neutral sensor already on the tranny. For safety in my setup I will have my microprocessor monitoring the RPMs and as someone already mentioned put a rev limiter on it. The microprocessor will be able to trip a relay that will trip the secondary contactor in my setup. This really ends up solving two safety issues. Neutral reving, as mentioned, but also over reving while driving the vehicle in gear.[/QUOTE]

I suggest having your circuit also turn on a bright red LED focused on the drivers face and blow a horn. It is easy to overrev a motor while coasting in too low a gear and the only solution is to hit the brakes and change gears.
-Stephen Chapman

I worried about this when I was putting the Porsche together, then went ahead without it. I have learned that the motor will not overrev when in gear, but will peak at about 3-4K rpm while drawing about 90A. It will go faster if you stay in a lower gear (say 2nd) while descending a hill, but amp draw goes down. I have made the mistake of giving the car throttle while not fully in gear but let off quickly and no damage was done. If a new motor didn’t cost so much, I would put it in neutral and stand on it, just to see.
Has anyone actually blown a series wound motor?
tommyt