What neutral really for?

If on a long low speed downhill should neutral be used? Or when is neutral used?

Is there a problem free rolling downhill if forward with not accelerator ?

In theory, neutral should have no regen, engine braking or anti-roll back / forward programmed.

Not all gems are set up for this and not all gems even have neutral. Those that do and are, could be different than the next gem because of who last programmed the controller.

If your engine braking (plug braking) is set high, rolling down a hill can be hard on the motor

Thanks…So when i go to upgrade to R4F motor and programming, they can customize for me those settings you think?

I can’t say what R$F might or might not program / adjust on your controller.

When I sent a spare controller in to them, I already owned a programmer so I could see what they changed from stock What I got back only had two parameters changed, field weakening and armature rate iirc. There is a spreadsheet posted here somewhere with the changes.

YMMV. Maybe I didn’t tell them enough, or maybe they are just playing it safe with canned adjustments. I don’t know.

Regen on the T1 and T2 controllers is meh at best imo. The T4 in my '10, regen is real and you know it, you feel it. And I can watch it on my BMS. I know plug braking is off because I turned it off.

Hindsight being what it is, and knowing what I know now, rather than a new motor I would buy a refurbished motor from Rodney @Old_Houseboater and talk to Michael @LithiumGods about the controller programming. Rodney’s DC motors are as good as, or even better than new as he corrects design shortcomings in certain models. Michael knows more about tuning a GE Septex DC motor controller than anyone I’ve ever talked to and he will work with you. You might have to buy a programmer if he wants you to fine tune it, but that programer (cable) is a small price.

You’ll come out so far ahead, even if it all costs you the same in the end. Or you might even still save some coin.