Defining/Determining "Terminal RPM"?

Recent posts have raised a basic question in my understanding…
How do we determine the maximum safe rpm for our motors? (I think I understand that the 5k area should be the upper end of the safe normal operation rpm numbers. Charts on the ADV site seem to indicate that the “sweet spot” for my motor is about 4500).
Recent posts have noted that a fraction of a second of high (7,000?) rpm and things go bang.

The Advanced website lists hp and torque specs for my ADV FB1-4001A motor all the way up to 9,000 rpm.

I have an electronic tachometer ready to install, I will most likely use an rpm sensor on the tailshaft of my motor. It has an adjustable “shift light”. I’m thinking that light/signal could trigger some sort of fail-safe shut down mechanism or circuit to guard against my motor someday being featured as a “newly exploded over-revver.”

This is fun - the more I learn, the more I realize I still need to know.
Bob

on the Climb atv forum we have a what I just broke :eek: section. We could add 1 here.:slight_smile:

Do you have a link to the ADC site with these numbers? I need to find out the same range of the motor also.

I installed a sensor on my motor and plan on using my microprocessor to motor the RPMs and then disable my secondary contactor if the RPMs are too high…just know what too high means yet :slight_smile:

I’m also using the ADV FB1-4001