42 mph with a stock 5hp motor

I was thinking the other day what the max speed I could get out of the factory 5hp motor . it’s a four passenger cart that I currently have limited to 36 mph . was thinking how fast would it go if I took off the limiter . so I changed a parameter in the controller and took it for a ride . hit 42 mph , Impressive . I don’t know how long the motor woud live at that speed , so put it back down to 36 . when I was reprograming the controller I realized that it still wasn’t set to max amps so I think if I pushed it 45mph would be possible . pretty good for the stock motor . now I do think that having the super light lithium pack ( 85lbs) helped a lot . But I wonder what a stock motor with a gel pack would do ?

oh well on to my next project , figuring out how to get the speedo to read over 25mph on a t4 controller. I hate the fact that you can’t get it to show speed over 25 mph without sending it to ride for fun and paying $300 .

I know how there doing it , just wondering if I can do it myself .

i’ll keep you post

You can pump the amps into the motor until it will destroy it self. I took a 3.5 up to 35 MPH it got hot real; fast. Really not a brilliant idea but we all have to test the limits.

It seems like R4F is getting a lot of money for something you can’t hold in your hand but they have money invested in the design,developing, debugging, and testing of the program. They aren’t selling thousands of copies. They are selling a few to people like you and me that want a little more zing than the average owner. IMHO if we can’t do it ourselves we should be happy to pay those who can provide it at a fair price. I do as much as I can myself, as many of you do. However if I cant do it, and I want it, I WILL buy it.

What say you?

Can you explain exactly what you changed?

I looked at parameters in my T4s, and they are both set to max amps.

What do you mean by " took off the limiter" ?

I have a keen interest, as I’m developing some “over-speed devices” for T4 cars.

Also, I don’t understand “show speed over 25 mph” ?

You mean, without the “limiter” your speedometer works up until 25mph?

[quote=kinghappy;28517]

oh well on to my next project , figuring out how to get the speedo to read over 25mph on a t4 controller. .

I know how there doing it , [COLOR=“DarkGreen”]Let us in on it![/COLOR] just wondering if I can do it myself .

i’ll keep you post[/quote]

Ok, I think I know what you mean.
If you program to go over 25MPH the speedometer still reads 0-25 but incorrectly?

I can improve that a little.

[quote=OLD HOUSEBOATER;28518]You can pump the amps into the motor until it will destroy it self. I took a 3.5 up to 35 MPH it got hot real; fast. Really not a brilliant idea but we all have to test the limits.

It seems like R4F is getting a lot of money for something you can’t hold in your hand but they have money invested in the design,developing, debugging, and testing of the program. They aren’t selling thousands of copies. They are selling a few to people like you and me that want a little more zing than the average owner. IMHO if we can’t do it ourselves we should be happy to pay those who can provide it at a fair price. I do as much as I can myself, as many of you do. However if I cant do it, and I want it, I WILL buy it.

What say you?[/quote]

I agree with you . ride 4 fun paid a firm to do the engineering ( I know who did it )to allow the speedo to show over 25 mph . they invested their money and deserve to recoup their investment and make some money doing it . I’m was just trying to justify to myself taking the time to remove and ship my controller and pay that money just to make my speedo accurate . the cart already does the 36 mph so it wont be faster , or any better . the speedo well just read 36 instead of 24 ( I have mine set to so actual speed is 1.5 x faster then the speedo shows).

but also like you I believe that it is ok for me to try and do something myself and not pay anyone else .

after posting I was thinking , " if I figure out how to do it , would it be fair to tell everyone else and take the business away from ride 4 fun who put up all the money for engineering " ?

what’s everyone’s thoughts ?

[quote=Inwo;28523]Ok, I think I know what you mean.
If you program to go over 25MPH the speedometer still reads 0-25 but incorrectly?

I can improve that a little.[/quote]

yes that is what I meant . when I program a car ,I tell the person the speedo cant show over 25 mph . so we give them a choice. ex. 20% over shown speed . if the speedo shows 25 your really going 30mph . or like mine . actual speed is 1.5x over shown . ex speedo shows 20 actual speed 30 mph .
some people just want the speed to show 1/2 actual .

what is want to do is be able to make the speedo accurate and display at every speed . if the cart is doing 35mph I would like it to show 35 on the speedo . my guess is they would pay a little more to have it display true speed . what do you think ?

hi
i also want my speed to show higher then 25
did they mod the hardware or is it only a software mod ?

Kinghappy

"after posting I was thinking , " if I figure out how to do it , would it be fair to tell everyone else and take the business away from ride 4 fun who put up all the money for engineering " ?

We all have to deal with this as our conscience dictates. In my case I know how to program DQ’s. It was taught to me by a mechanic who makes his living working on GEM’s. I won’t publish it because because I don’t want to affect his income. However if you give me a call I will tell you how, for your own use. If you also promise not to publish it. Convoluted thinking - maybe but works for me.

HOWEVER: If I come up with a method to accomplish the task on my own. I will market it or share it. at my discretion.

[quote=kinghappy;28525]yes that is what I meant . when I program a car ,I tell the person the speedo cant show over 25 mph . so we give them a choice. ex. 20% over shown speed . if the speedo shows 25 your really going 30mph . or like mine . actual speed is 1.5x over shown . ex speedo shows 20 actual speed 30 mph .
some people just want the speed to show 1/2 actual .

what is want to do is be able to make the speedo accurate and display at every speed . if the cart is doing 35mph I would like it to show 35 on the speedo . my guess is they would pay a little more to have it display true speed . what do you think ?[/quote]

I’m hoping people will pay a little less for a modest increase in speed and diy with no programming or part replacement.:wink:
0-25 speedometer is accurate. ie. no change.

I think a lot of people well happy to pay less then $100 to get their cart to do say 30mph instead of just 25 .

get that thing to market!

That’s just what I’m running in mine.

Seem objectionable at first, yet most of the time I run under 25.

When I get to 24-25 the speedometer switches to 12 (1/2) and keeps going.
When it reads 15 it’s 30 mph.

The up side is: Plug and play.
Removable.
Works in all Gems and golf carts. Move from one to another.
Field adjustable selecting changeover setting.
No down time or shipping.
No warranty issues. If you don’t get caught!
Tach/speedometer option. Reads true RPM or Speed.

[quote=Inwo;28535]That’s just what I’m running in mine.

Seem objectionable at first, yet most of the time I run under 25.

When I get to 24-25 the speedometer switches to 12 (1/2) and keeps going.
When it reads 15 it’s 30 mph.

The up side is: Plug and play.
Removable.
Works in all Gems and golf carts. Move from one to another.
Field adjustable selecting changeover setting.
No down time or shipping.
No warranty issues. If you don’t get caught!
Tach/speedometer option. Reads true RPM or Speed.[/quote]

you do good work

Thanks, but there are bugs yet.

If the first test shows promise, I’ll offer a few more to willing testers.
The first ones are hand assembled and too fragile for more than trial run. They need to be returned, awaiting better quality.

If I worked on or programmed for others, would definitely want a plug in tach to know what the motor was doing.

[quote=kinghappy;28524]I agree with you . ride 4 fun paid a firm to do the engineering ( I know who did it )to allow the speedo to show over 25 mph . they invested their money and deserve to recoup their investment and make some money doing it . I’m was just trying to justify to myself taking the time to remove and ship my controller and pay that money just to make my speedo accurate . the cart already does the 36 mph so it wont be faster , or any better . the speedo well just read 36 instead of 24

what’s everyone’s thoughts ?[/quote]

(IMHO), I believe that charging $300 to just allow the speedo to work properly is price gouging by R4F or just not a justifiable marketing price. They will not make as much money for this service as not that many people are boosting speed to need it done. They would get far more people to bite the bullet labor wise if they lowered their price.

To me,… It is considerable time lost of my cart’s use and some labor to remove the controller, schlep it to the post office and pay the postage to mail it to R4F… and reinstall the sucker.

I think $100 would be a more fair price. Again, IMHO. I won’t be a customer at $300 or anywhere near that price.

Jerry

Would anyone be a buyer at $50 for removing the speed limit and speedometer being accurate below 25mph? 30 second plug and play.

How about $50 for 20% increase in limit and speedo reading 20% low?

How about $100 for 20% increase and accurate, auxiliary speedometer?

Or $50 for add-on tach or speedometer only?

If you discover how to do it, without copying someone else’s method, then why not make it available?

Todd, I believe INWO is talking about a hardware device that simply plugs in between the controller and motor that “spoofs” the controller to make this work. As such he’d have to build and supply the hardware plugin. His pricing is very reasonable IMO. The R4F solution actually requires mods to the controller to achieve the same results which probably requires disassembly and reassembly of the controller.

And what I meant to say was: If INWO has found a way to “get around” the factory programing on his own, he can do with it what he wishes.