Lithium alternative

This is for the Guys that aren’t Geeks but want a better performing. RELIABLE cart that rides GOOD and trashes the neighbors rides. Cheap and Easy to DIY.

Add (1 ) flooded battery, (2) cables , (1) INWO “Spoof”. This will give you 84 volts.

This figures out to 16.7% more range, true 40 + MPH capability, a better ride, and no rats nest of wires, and no need for monitors or BMS.

Charger can be up graded to 84 volts or can be set up to charge the first 6 batteries in the string and a 12 volt charger can charge the extra battery.

In my set up a MDC31 battery is $90 (Veterans Discount). Cables and terminals $42, 12volt charger (on hand).

Whats wrong with this picture?

What say you?

2 Likes

I like it. Volts=Performance.
The same 15v spoof should work.

Your now not carrying 420 pound of battery’s your now carrying 490 pounds of battery’s.

The pros of a 7 battery pack are that your up in voltage.

The cons are everything else.

So your saying add a New 7th battery to your existing flooded pack.
What or how is the 7th battery gonna fair against the 6 “not new “ battery’s. I say this because we all know it’s important to have batteries that are of equal amp hours and vintage. Just wondering what a new or used battery would do to the pack .
I do think it’s a great idea for people to get an idea of what a higher voltage Gem will perform like with out spending lots of $ So for that I think it’s a great Idea.

Hmmm

Lets see

#31MDC are 59# each X6 = #354 X7 = #413 so weight is no problem

UPSIDE

The ride gets better

The range gets better

The performance gets better

The system is super simple

Reliability is as good as stock

Anybody can work on it

No high tech electronics

No sensitive Batteries

No suspension modification required.

CHEAP AND SIMPLE

DOWNSIDE

Heavy

Not as fast as LITHIUM cart but faster than stock

Not as much range as Lithium but more than stock

Not as much fun for Techies

Obsolete Technology

In a message dated 1/6/2019 6:25:00 PM US Eastern Standard Time, electricforum@discoursemail.com writes:

grantwest
January 6
Your now not carrying 420 pound of battery’s your now carrying 490 pounds of battery’s.

What or how is the 7th battery gonna fair against the 6 “not new “ battery’s. I say this because we all know it’s important to have batteries that are of equal amp hours and vintage. Just wondering what a new or used battery would do to the pack .
I do think it’s a great idea for people to get an idea of what a higher voltage Gem will perform like with out spending lots of $ So for that I think it’s a great Idea.

@LithiumGods Michael just dropped in 5 x 5s batteries with no changes. They fit right in.
Let me ask him if it’s as easy as adding a 12v battery and charger.

In fairness he added a monitor (bat-24) to evaluate it, but I believe it’s not needed. Worst case= damage a cell. Unlike Volt or Lead a single cell can be replaced for $50.

Grant, this is something brand new. Not a bms.

It even tells you how good your connections are.
No power connections at all. Just like the bat6. One small lead to each cell.
Michael is out trying to burn his motor up. Driving 40mph for 15 miles.

Hmmm

All batteries should be of equal amp hours and vintage. Great religious statement. This is preached by EVERY battery supplier and sales men the world over. In the real world single batteries in a set are replaced all the time. IMHO if the batteries are less than 4 years old go ahead and replace a single dud.

Rodney

In a message dated 1/6/2019 6:25:00 PM US Eastern Standard Time, electricforum@discoursemail.com writes:

grantwest
January 6

@Old_Houseboater right of course, but I’m working hard to bring lithium to the Gem world.
Wait for kinghappy report on the life batteries.
Easier (lighter) to install than lead.
Each battery module is <25lb. x 5 or x 10 for >50 real miles.
I’d post a picture of Michael’s install, but it would scare small children. :slight_smile:

@chris1 will be putting the same batteries (+10v) in two Gems next week.

Can’t wait for more feedback.

HMMM

Am I reading this right? 5X5 = 25 cells @ $50 Each =$1250

Rodney

In a message dated 1/6/2019 7:35:58 PM US Eastern Standard Time, electricforum@discoursemail.com writes:

Inwo
January 7
@kinghappy Michael just dropped in 5 x 5s batteries with no changes. They fit right in.
Let me ask him if it’s as easy as adding a 12v battery and charger.

In fairness he added a monitor (bat-24) to evaluate it, but I believe it’s not needed. Worst case= damage a cell. Unlike Volt or Lead a single cell can be replaced for $50.

Grant, this is something brand new. Not a bms.

It even tells you how good your connections are.
No power connections at all. Just like the bat6. One small lead to each cell.
Michael is out trying to burn his motor up. Driving 40mph for 15 miles.

Yes, about 1/2 price.
I have a couple 1,000 new old stock cells.
I test each one to meet rated 60ah capacity.
To err on customer side, test only fro 3.5v down to 3v. Leaving 5-10ah on the table.
The ones I sell for $50 are over 60ah, +5 to 10ah of course. I only use the capacity for matching when I build a pack for a Gem.
For forum members I will band into matched 16v modules. Or custom.
For diy’ers, 10s modules are considerably less than that. Because that’s how I get them. 10s modules and strap them to a pallet = easy.

I just looked.
@chris1 paid $400/10s module.
I strapped to a pallet and he shipped.
I can do this while I have good inventory. They sell as fast as I can test them for >$50 each on Ebay.
I’m paying Ebay $1k a month. Rather give it away than let Ebay and PP have it…

Hey hey hey…I can hold my own :wink:

You and Grant need to get together. He’s a true craftsman also.
I’m all about function myself. :wink:
Can you make one of those for kinghappy? He is resisting a 32s monitor.

ok i want in . I like what Rodney has done .Inwo and i were talking about this a few years ago , i was trying to find a 6v battery to add to the 6s gel pack but none were made . The idea of adding a 7th battery is a simple one ( but were the hell did you put it?) adding on a separate charge takes away most of the issues of mixing old and new batteries . If you running inexpensive deep cycle batteries this is an inexpensive way to hotrod a gem ,As old houseboater has just discovered gems love voltage . This is a better mod than adding a Ride for fun motor . Just as fast , better range and a lot cheaper . Voltage rules .

But it doesn’t compare to a lithium upgrade . Is the lithium upgrade more detailed ? yep , more expensive initially ? yep . But it is the next step up . It will be faster , last a lot longer and will change the whole character of your gem . If this setup i just installed works the way we believe it should , it is actually easier to install and run then lead batteries . Twice the price of flooded deep cycle batteries , but cheaper than a set of gels . It basically goes in as 5 light weight batteries , they weigh about 20 lbs each . They fit under the rear seat where the stock 4 batteries go . you could easily put 2 upfront of an older gem for weight balance . I used the factory battery cables to install it . currently i have a monitor hooked up for testing but dont think one will be required .

On my 2014 with an LTO lithium pack i didn’t even need to modify the charger , The Deltaq thinks there is gem in there , talk about easy .We will see if it can do the same with Inwo’s new cells .

1 Like

Grant and I go back about 5 years. He bought the first lift kit I sold.

In a message dated 1/6/2019 9:44:14 PM US Eastern Standard Time, electricforum@discoursemail.com writes:

Inwo
January 7
You and Grant need to get together. He’s a true craftsman also.
I’m all about function myself. :wink:
Can you make one of those for kinghappy? He is resisting a 32s monitor.

1 Like

If you ignore all the red test leads you can see 3 of the orange factory cables and thats it . haven’t secured them down yet but it is awesome they fit in the factory battery wells . Someone could put 3 of the modules under the rear fender where the factory puts 2 batteries. Also you just increased your gems carrying capacity by 300 lbs.

2 Likes

Did I send washers for the studs?
I found some flange nuts that seem to do a good job.
Always seem to be short hardware.

Now new chargers for your 84v system.