Kelly Controllers? Regretting Purchase?

Greetings! I’m currently building a custom 72v electric motorcycle with a aircraft generator motor. The controller I purchased from Kelly is the 72v 400amp Sepex with Regen. Well, I was at the Kick Gas Festival in San Diego today, and I spoke with a nice gentleman from electricmotorsport.com. I told him what controller I was using, and he cringed! He said that they tested several models for thier production bike, and when they didn’t fry themselves, they also had inaccurrate amp specs. He said that they are actually 1/3 the listed amperage… Meaning the 400amp controller I purchased actually puts out 133amps. He said that everyone he knew has had the same problem… Again, when they don’t fry! Not that I don’t trust him, but I haven’t found anything like this in the forums, and was wondering if anyone else has had the same experience? I’d just like to know if I wasted my money before I wire it up and risk a burn out. I was kinda thinking about going with more amps anyway… Can anyone recommend a good 72v Sepex controller with 500-600amps? Thanks in advance for your help ladies and gentleman!

From what I’ve herd, Anything is good exept for the Kelly’s

One of my friends resurched this, and thats what he sead.

Thanks, that’s what I’m hearing too. Bummer!

I think for 72-84V and 500A, you’re going to need to use the sevcon powerpak. Alltrax has one, but it stops at 48V. There’s nothing else besides kelly that I know of.

you can order from a few places online that sell sevcon, look for their distributor.

for the model numbers reference the page below.
http://www.electricmotorsport.com/store/ems_ev_parts_motors_sepex.php

Thanks for the info, Frodus. The guys at electricmotorsport.com are really helpful, and they have a great site with great products… I’ll probably go with the Sevcon from them.

not sure if they sell it separately… you cannot program it without a programmable dongle…which they don’t sell. They program it for that specific motor.

Kelly controllers are junk. We tried the 144Volt KDH14500B and all it did was overheat and not move the car up hills. The max current rating we got out of the device was well under 300Amps especially after you drive the vehicle for a few minutes. We could barely get it past 150Amps. We actually had the controller get so bad at one point that the vehicle came to a 20mph crawl.

We are a high end EV shop in North Texas and have had nothing but back and forth with Kelly. Their tactic is to drag on over the return policy while you try to work out the problems and then not honor a return when you get fed up and return the product. We don’t feel this is good business and we will take the necessary steps to stop this kind of behavior. We would not talk them down if they worked with us to improve their product and take responsibility for very poorly designed controllers which are misrepresented by exaggerated specifications.

One try of Logisystems and no problems at all. The 1000Amp controller is a great product! Kelly does not honor returns EVEN IF THE PRODUCT DOES NOT WORK! We are going to file a law suit against them and make sure the EV community is well aware of this very shady business. We will also bring up the fact that the overheating is dangerous and could potentially cause a vehicle accident in the very near future if these controllers are used more in the EV industry.

If you want proof of these problems come visit our shop. We have working model EVs here using Logisystems controllers. Logisystems controllers burn rubber with even heavy vehicles and are much less temperature sensitive.

STOP buying cheap Chinese imports and working with companies that will not be around for very long. We are positive Kelly is only a reseller and knows nothing about EVs. Logisystems are made in USA and they stand very firmly behind their product. We want them to grow with the EV community and their is no reason why they shouldn’t. Any questions feel free to give us a call or send us a response. We would love to hear other people’s experiences.

Regards,
Helios Electric Motors

Ow, OW. I bought a Kelly and it works, and was cheap.

So far I have been happy with my Kelly controller, I have a 48V BLDC 200 amp that has worked wonderfully for my prototype project. If you are trying to build something that is going to be more high end and durable then I would spring for a better one. Does anyone know much about the Brusa MD095?

[QUOTE=KAE;6677]So far I have been happy with my Kelly controller, I have a 48V BLDC 200 amp that has worked wonderfully for my prototype project. If you are trying to build something that is going to be more high end and durable then I would spring for a better one. Does anyone know much about the Brusa MD095?[/QUOTE]

We have removed KDHB old model.We never refuse to provide the warranty.You can contact me directly.

[QUOTE=frodus;5210]I think for 72-84V and 500A, you’re going to need to use the sevcon powerpak. Alltrax has one, but it stops at 48V. There’s nothing else besides kelly that I know of.

you can order from a few places online that sell sevcon, look for their distributor.

for the model numbers reference the page below.
Electric Motorsport EV Parts[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the link, I will buy them for my 2004 Gem