Just bought a GEM

Hello
I am new, have just bought this GEM:

The Owner stated that the batteries are OK but how can this be? No battery lasts 9 years, or??

Looking forward to get it delivered.

Thanks, Harold

[QUOTE=hbrand;9244]Hello
I am new, have just bought this GEM:

The Owner stated that the batteries are OK but how can this be? No battery lasts 9 years, or??

Looking forward to get it delivered.

Thanks, Harold[/QUOTE]
[B]Hi Harold and welcome to the site. I’m sure you will be able to get any information you need on your new car here.
Perhaps if the batteries are new and still dry they could possible still be ok.

Gene
[/B]

It is unlikely that GEM batteries would last ten years under real world conditions. The most we have gotten from Dekka GELs is about six years. However, if someone lives in a very mild climate, takes meticulous care of the GEM and its batteries, and doesn’t discharge them too deeply, I suspect they could get a few more years out of them. We have had a few Exide golf car batteries last just over ten years.

Daniel

Yes, the 9 year old batteries where at maybe 20% capacity.
There goes $ 1100 for a new Trojan set.
With batteries, you cant win.

I bought an '05… the seller was selling it with dead batteries… I said I’d buy new ones as I needed to drive it off the truck that was bringing it from CA to CO… he got the batteries that were in the car to hold a charge… finding the problem was in the extention cord… they appear to be the original GEM batteries… I don’t know much history on the car… the plates it arrived with were '07’s assume since there was a wasp nest… no wasps… under the horn cover and the seats were sun faded…that it had sat since '07… so far the batteries seem good enough to keep me moving to about 20 miles on a charge and still show 3 bars of charge… can tell that I need to head for home at that point as it doesn’t cruise up hills like on a full charge… am probably looking at the new battery path ahead of me soon as well…

Bob