Best Batteries

I have a 2009 GEM. Needs batteries already. Actually I also have a 2005 GEM that just now needs batteries.

The batteries in the 2009 only have a GEM factory label with the part no. 8G31. Is this a number for that type battery or strictly a GEM factory number?

What’s a good battery to get? If I go Interstate I save about 25% over GEM dealer but I want to be sure Interstate has the right battery. That’s why I wonder if the part no. is an industry one and not just a GEM part no.

1 Like

The GEM uses “Electric Vehicle” or “Industrial” type deep-cycle batteries. The Interstate Nautilus marine deep-cycle batteries are a little under-powered for the GEM but may work fine depending on your usage patterns and expected lifetime. They’re flooded-cell batteries and will require monitoring and distilled water top-ups over time (a pain in the butt IMHO)

I suspect your GEM OEM batteries are Group-31 AGM or Gel-Cell batteries originally made by DEKA a division of Penn Battery. Any deep-cycle Group 31 or Group 30H battery will fit but some are better than others in electric vehicle use.

You might try getting the DEKA batteries direct from Penn Battery or go for another brand but make sure of two things: Capacity (115 to 150 AH) and type (Deep Cycle or Electric Vehicle duty). Do NOT use regular starting batteries or dual-purpose starting/trolling motor batteries. Use only deep-cycle batteries designed to output at the 75 to 100 amp rate your GEM requires.

1 Like

Good information.

Thanks

1 Like

if you have a local battery shop you may check with them …i was able to get 6 rebuilt batteries with a 2 year free replacement for 480 out the door…they are 140 AH and look just like what i took out down to the round caps on the top…they make my car roll like a rockett…so far i have only been about 5 miles but at five miles i only dropped one bar…good luck

[QUOTE=nosgsxr;15406]if you have a local battery shop you may check with them …i was able to get 6 rebuilt batteries with a 2 year free replacement for 480 out the door…they are 140 AH and look just like what i took out down to the round caps on the top…they make my car roll like a rockett…so far i have only been about 5 miles but at five miles i only dropped one bar…good luck[/QUOTE]

How did you locate such a shop? I Google battery rebuild Tulsa but didn’t get any results that indicated any business doing this. One in Oklahoma City, maybe.

Well to tell ya I guess I just thought they would be in all towns…tbis shop has been around for a while …when I went to the shop and had him load test the batteries tbat I had tbey were toasted. …he hooked me up with the new batteries and the warranty. .I have a brother that comes to tulsa about once a month and he could prob drop off some for a small charge …lol

For best battery performance and long battery backup get SF Sonic Batteries, SF Sonic has introduced several ranges of batteries like [B]SF Super Sonic, SF Sonic Jet, SF Jumbo, SF Sonic Rodeo, SF Sonic Power House and SF Sonic Power Box[/B]. SF Sonic car battery, characterized by power at its peak throughout its lifetime, is considered as the ultimate in power-packed battery. SF Sonic is backed by world famous Furukawa Battery of Japan. SF Sonic offers a wide range of batteries for Inverters, UPS & HUPS ranging from 100 Ah to 180 Ah. You can choose from Lead Acid Batteries (for occasional power cuts & longer service life) or Tubular Batteries (for frequent power cuts & lower maintenance cost). SF Sonic inverter batteries are affordable, reliable and are made from high quality material

1 Like

What Bob said about batteries is spot on.

I would NOT recommend “marine deep cycle” under any circumstances unless you plan to replace them every couple of years. Yes they are cheaper than “industrial deep-cycle” batteries but they won’t hold up to the current drain required by your GEM. They weren’t designed for that application and won’t last long. I know from experience of what I speak!! Rule of thumb: the more the battery weighs, the longer it will last. Heavy metal is good (at least when it comes to flooded lead acid technology)!

Personally I would use Trojan 30XSH batteries (or the heftier T1275) which are designed for industrial deep-discharge applications like tow-motors. They are pricey but you get what you pay for. Depends on your usage I guess. Others in this forum have had success with other brands.

Al

[quote=Neoflyer;15395]I have a 2009 GEM. Needs batteries already. Actually I also have a 2005 GEM that just now needs batteries.

The batteries in the 2009 only have a GEM factory label with the part no. 8G31. Is this a number for that type battery or strictly a GEM factory number?

What’s a good battery to get? If I go Interstate I save about 25% over GEM dealer but I want to be sure Interstate has the right battery. That’s why I wonder if the part no. is an industry one and not just a GEM part no.[/quote]

Hmmm

Did you hppen to notice it’s 2015. You didnt do bad on battery life.

My favorite batteries ar East Penn. However the Trojan batteries are an excellent choice. The T1275s are a 150 amp battery and will give you the most range.

I would not purchase “Rebuilt” batteries as this is a very loose term for selected batteries that are sorted from returns that still test good. They are salted and slow charged to reduce sulphation and may last a few months.

Because I’m on flat ground and trade often I DO use East Penn 31MDC batteries and get 3 good seasons out of them. I average 150 miles a month.

When doing replacements make sure your charger is set up for the new pack.

Hi! If it’s a 2009 your batteries are deka gel. 31= the size and G= a gel battery. They don’t have removable refill caps, sealed. If you change to any other type of battery you will have to reprogram the Delta-Q built in battery charger. It’s a pain to have check the water in the battery so that’s one of the reason for the gel batteries. My Deka batteries have lasted 5 years so far. Trojan also makes a great 31g battery. NAPA batteries are made by Deka in the 31g size. In California the NAPA dealers offer a 10% discount if you show a AAA card. Both Trojan and Deka batteries are about $300.00x6=$1800+tax. Ouch! Good luck, Barry, Chico, California.

My Trojan 30XSH were just under $200/each couple of years ago in NE Ohio.

Al

Yeah, but they’re flooded cells.

Trojan has a new line of AGM and Gel batteries in sizes which will fit our Gems.
AGM batteries: Reliant T1275-AGM | Trojan Battery Company

Gel batteries: 31-GEL | Trojan Battery Company

And: 5SHP-GEL | Trojan Battery Company

But they’re quite spendy…

The T1275 is a 150 AH battery, range freaks should jump on that one. At our average age probably the last battery pack we’ll ever have to buy.

Just wondering if higher AH rating of battery really is indicative of extended battery life? Certainly range is improved but I suspect the number of discharge cycles isn’t affected much by rated amp hours.

Hmmmm, Maybe indirectly since total discharge cycles is rated by Trojan at 50% SOC and a higher AH rating would translate mathematically to a higher SOC % over the same route (miles) and therefore more cycles?

More a theoretical question and improved range WOULD be nice!

Al

AGM technology is very popular in the earlier days as a sealed lead acid battery for military aircraft, vehicles and UPS to reduce weight and improve reliability. The sulfuric acid is absorbed by a very fine fiberglass mat, making the battery spill-proof. These are most selling batteries in Battery industry for their reliability and durability.

1 Like

Exide, Amaron and Luminous are leading brands in batteries, Check out their products.

Have a Deka battery for 4 years now, and it never fails me yet.