Jerking in fwd and rev does not drive.

Picture of some of the front gearbox fluid. Looks nasty. No large chunks of metal. No where closer to figuring this thing out. :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

On ground will not move.

With wheels of ground goes 25 MPH

Check for shorts first. Eliminate the easy stuff.
@djgabriel2004

I donā€™t think I would have jumped to the gearbox being an issue.
Looks like gear oil to me. Hold it up to the camera a little closer and I might be able to smell it.

Try and stay focused. You have missed a few suggestions that might point to a clue. This makes some of us feel a little unwanted and will wander off to other projects.

Letā€™s get some background

• What is the history on this car?
  • How long have you had this car?
  • Did you buy it this way? (non-working)

(depending on how you answer the above questionsā€¦)

• When was the last time it was working?
  • Was there an event that might hint at a possible cause to this issue?

Fair enough, cart is from a guy in my neighborhood. He has owned it for over 2 years, he installed new agm batteries himself. 48V cart. Says he was getting upwards of 30 miles after new batts. Then one day went to use it and it would not move. Just jerks in either forward or reverse. I removed all phase wires from the motor like @Inwo suggested. Result = no open circuit code. Unplugging speed sensor made no difference.

Iā€™ve got the same problem before,

Dealer told me batteries were low (not possible because I work with batteries and gems every day and I knew voltsge was ok)

Traced every wire, they were ok , replaced contactor, nothing, speed controller, nothing replaced the motor, boom worked.

Left the old motor in my garage because I like to hoard unnecessary stuff,

FF a few months a client brought me a car with motor temp sensor issues, decided to put this old motor that has been sitting and boom it worked like a champ, told him to bring it back if fails, its been a year and I havenā€™t heard back from him

Conclusion, I have no idea what could be the problem.

1 Like

How long since the last time he used it until this?

Remember that battery gauge tracks amp hour going out but it doesnā€™t calculate self discharge or if thereā€™s any ghost drain when car is off.

Bear-
Where are you located?

Iā€™m in Destin, Florida

Close to three weeks ago, He let it sit plugged in the entire time. I crawled underneath and checked battery cables from batts to controller/ contactor/motor nothing rubbing or chaffed.

Meg them? Not sure I know what this means?

Testing meg-ohms from stator to case. Usually a special hv meter, but any ohmeter will work.
Should read infinity.

Okay I will try this in the morning. Thanks

Iā€™m in Boca Raton area in case you want to trailer it we can test some parts or even Reflash it to see whatā€™s the problem.

1 Like

I removed all phase wires from the motor like @Inwo suggested. Result = no open circuit code. Unplugging speed sensor made no difference.

Does it bother you that Bear unhooked the phase wires and the controller didnā€™t seem to notice? Or maybe Bear missed that the controller faulted?

There can also be shorted turns, but take a special test to find it. A reputable motor shop can do it. They will have a real megger too.

1 Like

No continuity from ground to motor phases. Checked continuity between all three motor phases 0 ohms seems to be OK.

Uploading: IMG_3252.jpegā€¦]()

Rather than use that setting on your meter can you click it one position to the left? (CCW)
Does it give a different reading?

1 Like

0.1 ohms

Phases cables off the motor, KO, in gear gas pushed no faults.

From winding to frame. Set to megohms.