Install Trackhawk on Gem

I have a 2014 Gem E6 - I want to install a Trackhawk LTE GPS kill switch on it. Any tips?

It shouldn’t be to difficult to install. There are a probably 30 places you could install a disconnect and the car would cease in it’s will to move.
Shoot- If you look at these things sideways they get all pissed off and will throw you a code.

It might be a good idea to give the trackhawk a dedicated power source.

I think my main concern is that most of what makes the Gem car go down the road, where I would logically install a cutoff, is on the 72 volt system, which would be off limits for the Trackhawk. I need to find something that will cut off the car in the 12 volt system. I think the wiring to the key is 12 volt.

You are correct - it needs a dedicated 12 volt power supply for several reasons, but including so that the GPS works when the car is shut off. I could wire it to the cigarette lighter (or 12 volt accessory port for the younger readers), or I can wire it straight to a battery (even on a 72 volt series as we have, each battery is still 12 volts).

Is the ignition switch on the 12 volt system?

Thanks,
Pat

As simple as this may seem, DON’T do this. It wil create a dangerous imbalance that will eventually kill your pack.

Scenario 1 would be to install a remote battery to power your security. It doesn’t need to be a very big battery, but size it to the needs of your device. This means you would also need to install another charging system.

Scenario 2 would be a second independent 72->12v DC Converter that would feed your device. Con to this is that it would be easy to defeat by disconnecting one cable in the middle of the pack.

Is the ignition switch on the 12 volt system?

Yes, The 2014 uses a 12v wire for the KeyON loop. You could also break the Parking brake loop. Depending on how the Trackhawk shuts down the car you could have it simply trigger a relay and have it disconnect anything else you desire like the charger interlock (+72v) so the car thinks it is plugged in. Then also trigger the emergency flashers and honk the horn, and even set off a smoke bomb. If you installed the optional ejector seat option it might be entertaining to see a bad guy/car theif rise above the tree line from two blocks away. <-(record this please).

Some reports have been passed around from people that have simply installed AirTags (Key being more than one). They are self powered, Small and easy to hide, affordable, and don’t require a monthly fee or cellualr connection. CON: - They need a cell phone on the apple network nearby and due to the nefarious use of predators, the air tags now send out a signal to the unsuspecting bad guy that there is an unknown Tag following him around. This more/less defeats the purpose and means you need to be quick with a recovery before he finds it and tosses it in a passing truck. (hence the need for more than one).

Thanks for this - your post is extremely helpful!

I doubt I will use the ejection seat option, but if I do, I will post the video for sure!

A bit darker view - In reality, I don’t think the Trackhawk will keep someone from actually taking your cart. However- It will show you that it happened and possibly make it more difficult by disabling it. Advantage to using an actual GPS tracker (simple fob trackers are not). If the security device is not found right away, it may at least tell you where it ends up.

IMO - If a pro really wanted your cart, they would have a trailer waiting around the corner to scoop it up without even strapping it down. A small box trailer would even hide it as they drove right past your house on the way out of your neighborhood.

Discussion - Get those creative minds going.
A disabled car would mean it either needs to be pushed (these things are designed to roll fairly easy) or strap tow it away. Bonus if you had the foresight to buy a house at the bottom of a hill. This doesn’t apply to your cart getting swiped while you are out shopping.

Doing something unexpected and hidden makes it more difficult. The pro might choose to move to the next cart over. A locking Park Brake or steering lock(not easy to do) would make it more difficult to quietly roll off unnoticed.
An electric park brake might be fun for somebody to adapt over from a production car.

One of my favorite thoughts (geared more for the low rider guys) would be to push the “Deflate all Bags” button and put the frame on the ground. That car won’t be going anywhere until the thief figures out how to activate the onboard air system to bring it back up again. This though leaves out the fad that has people jacking thir carts up into the clouds.

Or you could mis-label a button on your dash that simply sets off a latching alarm.
Bat Security15

Any disabler, sophisticated or not, notifies the thieves the GEM is being tracked whereupon they dismantle it looking for the tracker or dispose of it in a wrecking yard.

Instead consider getting a high end tracker such as the Brickhouse and defer starting the premium subscription until you notice your GEM is missing. Then you can start your search and rescue without notifying the thieves.