Improving Acceleration

I have the top speed of my 2011 Gem E6 up to ~33

It takes a while to get to the very top speed- are there any controller setting changes you’d recommend that might help with acceleration above 20MPH?

Hmmm

Interesting. What is the Gearbox ratio and tire diameter?

Rodney

Rodney- how do I know this? Will it be on the vehicle??

Take a tape measure and measure the outside diameter of the tire. Do you have 4 bolt rims or 5?

Stock gear ratio for E6 is 14.76 to 1

Assuming you have 24 inch diameter tires you should not exceed 25 MPH with a stock motor or 30 MPH with a performance motor.

Rule of the thumb 5000 RPM stock motor 6000 plus a tad for Marlon or RFF motors.

When you over rev the motors, segments will fly out of the commutator and make a mess out of the motor. If you try to continue to move the cart it will also take out the controller. Experience talking here.

I have a tire vs gearbox spread sheet if your interested.

rodneyadiehl@aol.com

Rodney

I have 5 bolt rims- Wheel Diameter is I think 21-

We are typically going about 28 but max out at 33-34. Doesn’t sound like the rpms are too high but I don’t know how well I’m judging by sound. I’m hoping there is some type of rpm limiter on the controller.

If it blows up I’ll put in another motor but so far it sounds fine even at higher speeds.

I have to think that the 7HP motor can operate above 25mph without risk- that would be bad engineering to have it set to operate at it’s max safe speed from the factory.

Also, most of our trips are fairly short- 1-2 miles with minimal time at higher speeds.

Anyway for me to know what rpms we are running (i’m guessing we could calculate from wheel diameter and drive ratio but since i’m not positive about the drive ratio I don’t know-

[quote=OLD HOUSEBOATER;31528]Take a tape measure and measure the outside diameter of the tire. Do you have 4 bolt rims or 5?

Stock gear ratio for E6 is 14.76 to 1

Assuming you have 24 inch diameter tires you should not exceed 25 MPH with a stock motor or 30 MPH with a performance motor.

Rule of the thumb 5000 RPM stock motor 6000 plus a tad for Marlon or RFF motors.

When you over rev the motors, segments will fly out of the commutator and make a mess out of the motor. If you try to continue to move the cart it will also take out the controller. Experience talking here.

I have a tire vs gearbox spread sheet if your interested.

rodneyadiehl@aol.com

Rodney[/quote]

Hmmm

If you only have 21 inch tires you are turning over 7000 Rpm at 30 MPH

Must be bigger cause a GE 7HP won’t take 7000 very long…

If you indeed have 21 inch tires your acceleration is about as good as it’s going to get.

What are current controller settings?

Send me your email and I will send you a spread sheet on tire size vs gear ratio and RPM

Rodney