I'm taking a battery poll!

What do you guys think of the Group 31 AGM Caterpillar Batteries?
http://pdf.cat.com/cda/files/3049510/7/PEGP7801-06.pdf

Page 8 - Looks like good numbers, what am I missing?

Here is a PDF of the CAT batteries I was referencing.

content removed…

Great Info GTMO! I appreciate your feedback. I was get beginning to convince myself that AGM was the way to go…now you have my worried again! ha

If you were willing to spend between 1200-1500 for a set of batteries, what would you buy?

The problem I’m having is that NAPA is selling the 8272 here locally for 279each! :eek:

Well I just had a very informative (for me) conversation with a company who sells Trojan batteries here in Omaha. He sells all models of Trojan. He recommended at SCS-225 Lead Acid battery. He says it will get longer life than the Gel or AGM when maintained properly. He also said that all the major electric vehicle makers are sending their golf carts out of the factory with Lead Acid due to performance. (I think it could be cost too :slight_smile: He says he sells them all and has VERY few complaints about performance and battery life with Lead Acid compared to AGM or GEL?

Looks like that is the route Im currently going now! :slight_smile: Who would have thought buying something as “simple” as batteries would be so tough!

He priced them at 130 + 26 core charge. Does that sound reasonable?

content removed…

Size 31 gel batteries in my humble opinion. I don’t like to add the distilled water, which we had to do when we had regular deep cycles.

I’m always skeptical about something “equivalent” to the Trojans for less money. I’m sure Trojans carry a premium b/c of the name BUT I personally wouldn’t want something “less than” just to save a few bucks. I made the mistake of buying Interstate “marine” batteries that were “just as good as Trojan’s” to save a few bucks. HA! 2 &1/2 years later I was in the market for new batteries. Marine batteries are just NOT up to the demands of a GEM.

FLA vs AGM or GEL is probably a cost/benefit decision if from the same manufacturer. FLA are [U]probably[/U] cheaper and admittedly DO require topping off w/ water occasionally. IF AGM or GEL do NOT require maintenance AND the performance is the same and are the same price, it’s a no brainer. If something in that sentence is NOT true, then you’d need to assess the cost/benefit to make an informed decision.

Just my $.02.

Al

I buy my Deca’s at Napa. Same gel battery, cheaper, with the Napa logo. In California the AAA also gets you a discount.

Two years ago my “original” wet cell battery’s decided to take a dump!:frowning: I installed a set of NAPA 8272’s, and have never looked back.:slight_smile: These batterys run strong,and long! I’ve drove around town trying to deplete them and finally got down to 2 bars on my 2010’s gauge (28 miles) and a sore butt!:smiley: The Delta Q charges them fine,after setting it up for them. Plus no more filling the seperate cells. It seemed like I was always having to add distilled water to them.:rolleyes: