If you had to build it, how would you do it?

After much research, I’ve decided which platform I’m going to start with: a second-generation Saturn Sport Coupe. They’re light, aerodynamic, and I owned one before and loved it!

If you were to convert this, how would you do it? Here are my design goals:

1. Acceleration is of zero priority to me. It can do 0-60 in 5 minutes for all I care.

2. Top speed is, however, a priority. I would like it to be able to attain [I]and[/I] maintain highway speed (60-70 mph) for as long as possible.

3. Range is the biggest priority. I’ll be living in a rural area when it’s on the road, and must be able to do most of my commute at about 60 mph. My goal is a minimum range of 40 miles, more if possible.

4. Cost is somewhat of a priority, but I’ll pay a little extra to meet my objectives. I can’t say that money is no object - if that were the case, I’d just have AC Propulsion build me a motor/controller unit and push it with Li Ion batteries. But I don’t have 35 grand just laying around.

I have my ideas, but I’d like to hear yours. I’m sure you folks will think of things that I haven’t.

-Kevin

You could get a bargan motor like this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=360145948115

a do it yourself or the kit version of this 144volt do it yourself controller:

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/paul-sabrinas-cheap-144v-motor-controller-6404.html

assorted cables (welding cable 2/0 gauge) , lug connectors, contactors, and then settle on some batteries. SLA seem now to have the most bang for the buck, Then in a few years when you have saved all of that GASOLINE money you could get the latest and greatest new Ultracapicator or Miracle Battery that is out there…

Good luck

Itse Electruck aka lets make it electric!!!

Don:)

For the adapter plate I would get a local machinist to adapt the electric motor to the manual transmission. Hopefully you know how to weld or have access to a welder. :slight_smile:

After much research, I’ve decided which platform I’m going to start with: a second-generation Saturn Sport Coupe. They’re light, aerodynamic, and I owned one before and loved it!

[B]Actually this is a pretty good choice. They are inexpensive,light and last a long time.[/B]

If you were to convert this, how would you do it? Here are my design goals:

[B]Since top speed is your main priority you will need a powerful motor and battery pack. There is a company in Santa Rosa, Ca. called [I]Thunderstruck EVs[/I] that sells an AC motor/controller kit (80volts to 108 volts) for $4300 that would give you plenty of power and requires less battery muscle than a DC motor/controller system (you can contact them through their website). The owner built a Geo Metro with one of these set up and an 80 volt litium ion battery pack and it is very responsive. You could save some money by using less expensive batteries, say some Gel 12 volts or just a lot of 6 volt wet deep cycles.[/B]

1. Range is the biggest priority. I’ll be living in a rural area when it’s on the road, and must be able to do most of my commute at about 60 mph. My goal is a minimum range of 40 miles, more if possible.

[B]Because the AC motor is more efficient your range should be pretty good but if you need more you can double the batteries by using two parallel strings for more amp hours.[/B]

1. Cost is somewhat of a priority, but I’ll pay a little extra to meet my objectives. I can’t say that money is no object - if that were the case, I’d just have AC Propulsion build me a motor/controller unit and push it with Li Ion batteries. But I don’t have 35 grand just laying around.

[B]A DC motor and controller like an Advanced DC and Kelley controller would be cheaper but generally you wouldn’t get even 40 miles on a charge at the speeds you’re talking about.[/B]

Doug