Hybrid Vintage Truck feasible?

I have a 1967 power wagon that I absolutely love. This truck is heavy though weighing just over 5,000 lbs empty with a GVW of 9500lbs. The power wagons are known as work trucks.

Now keep reading.

I understand that such a heavy vehicle could never be a EV. What I have seen in other ev’s though is one speed transmissions and a rear end with a gear ratio in the mid 3’s.
What this truck currently has is a manual 4 speed with gear ratios of 6.68/3.10/1.69/1.00/8.25 with a axle ratio of 5.83. I have a second “brown lipe” auxiliary transmission behind the 1.96/1 transfer case that gives me a 2/1 1/1 and .8/1 overdrive. This is able to be shifted just like the transmission and turns the 4 speed into a 12 speed in 2wd. The transfer case can obviously not be shifted once moving.

I am hoping that I can use a 140 motor(or larger) and simply multiply the torque to move this thing.

I would put 4 270 volt Prius re-manufactured battery packs from reinvolt in this truck for 1080 volts of use.
As for the hybrid motor I would use a diesel APU unit that puts out 5.5kw of constant power(5500volts). This liquid cooled APU would be used as a heater/ac and vacuum for the breaks and wipers. The APU units constantly running use under 2 gallons per hour. When not constantly running they are known to use 0.1 gallons per hour.
I expect to run the APU at all times while moving except in very slow city driving.
I would want a controller that could accompany this while being able to run the APU until the batteries are fully charged then shut it off. So I could drive around and leave the APU running while I am at the store or at a friends home without thinking of shutting it off to save fuel and wear.

THE POWER WAGONS CURRENT TOP SPEED IS 54. I can regear it to go 63mph with 4.88 gears. But that would reduce the torque which i need to move it. The reason for the 54mph speed is that the current flat head 251 4.1l inline 6 has a maximum rpm of 2500(2000 safely) without modification.

I want a max speed of between 60 and 65 mph which would mean the electric motor would need to be moving at/around 2800rpm with the current 5.83 axle ratio. This seems doable in my mind anyway. But, before I go out and spend a couple grand I thought I would get some feedback.
With the batteries charged most of the time what kind of MPG & range can I expect to get using the Diesel sipping APU?

What are your thoughts, suggestions, advise?

[QUOTE=cerial;10762]I have a 1967 power wagon that I absolutely love. This truck is heavy though weighing just over 5,000 lbs empty with a GVW of 9500lbs. The power wagons are known as work trucks.

Now keep reading.

I understand that such a heavy vehicle could never be a EV. What I have seen in other ev’s though is one speed transmissions and a rear end with a gear ratio in the mid 3’s.
What this truck currently has is a manual 4 speed with gear ratios of 6.68/3.10/1.69/1.00/8.25 with a axle ratio of 5.83. I have a second “brown lipe” auxiliary transmission behind the 1.96/1 transfer case that gives me a 2/1 1/1 and .8/1 overdrive. This is able to be shifted just like the transmission and turns the 4 speed into a 12 speed in 2wd. The transfer case can obviously not be shifted once moving.

I am hoping that I can use a 140 motor(or larger) and simply multiply the torque to move this thing.

I would put 4 270 volt Prius re-manufactured battery packs from reinvolt in this truck for 1080 volts of use.
As for the hybrid motor I would use a diesel APU unit that puts out 5.5kw of constant power(5500volts). This liquid cooled APU would be used as a heater/ac and vacuum for the breaks and wipers. The APU units constantly running use under 2 gallons per hour. When not constantly running they are known to use 0.1 gallons per hour.
I expect to run the APU at all times while moving except in very slow city driving.
I would want a controller that could accompany this while being able to run the APU until the batteries are fully charged then shut it off. So I could drive around and leave the APU running while I am at the store or at a friends home without thinking of shutting it off to save fuel and wear.

THE POWER WAGONS CURRENT TOP SPEED IS 54. I can regear it to go 63mph with 4.88 gears. But that would reduce the torque which i need to move it. The reason for the 54mph speed is that the current flat head 251 4.1l inline 6 has a maximum rpm of 2500(2000 safely) without modification.

I want a max speed of between 60 and 65 mph which would mean the electric motor would need to be moving at/around 2800rpm with the current 5.83 axle ratio. This seems doable in my mind anyway. But, before I go out and spend a couple grand I thought I would get some feedback.
With the batteries charged most of the time what kind of MPG & range can I expect to get using the Diesel sipping APU?

What are your thoughts, suggestions, advise?[/QUOTE]

5.5Kw is only 7.5 horsepower. Your truck will need much more than 7.5 horsepower to maintain 60 mph. I don’t know the Kwh of a prius pack , but when your 4 packs run out, you’ll have to slow down. Your idea of a diesel based generator is a good one, but you’ll have to size it correctly. While I love your truck, I think you’ll have a hard time making that work. Besides the weight issues, the losses through your transmision and transfer case will be large. If you were trying this on a small pickup, I would say you have a chance, but a power wagon???

Frank Home