Hybrid Battery Setup

Okay, here’s my idea, but I don’t know if it would work.

Have two separate strings of batteries, each consisting of 12 12-volt batteries, a controller and motor both able to handle from 144 to 288 volts, and a charger able to charge 288 volts. Have a three-way switch on the dashboard that can be flipped to activate only pack A, only pack B, or both pack A and B at once. During normal driving, you have it set to pack A, but when you need an extra burst of acceleration, flip the switch to be both pack A and B. (Theoretically, this could also be used to give a higher top speed.) After you don’t need the extra burst, set the switch back to pack A. When pack A runs out, flip the switch to pack B for increased range. When charging, flip the switch to A and B, and use a charger built to charge 288 volts.

Would this work? I’m really curious to know. I would also be interested to know if there’s any way to have this electronically-controlled (push the go pedal harder, and string B kicks in to help, and once string A gets below a certain point of discharge, string B takes over), and what parts I’d need to set an electronically-controlled system like this up.

Thank you in advance for your replies.