How to charge a gem

I’m new to the gem car world I have a 2003 e825 and my question is.
When plugging it in to charge it do I turn the disconnect switch off, or leave the battery switch on?
And do I leave it plugged in all the time, or just after heavy use?
Sometime the gauge battery gauge works great. And sometime after it being plugged in for a few days the battery level will be at 86. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

you should plug it in without disconnecting the battery and ideally you should then turn off the disconnect switch after it’s done changing. The gem will continue to draw some power and slowly drain the batteries. The charger shuts off after fully charging the batteries and will not turn back on unless its unplugged. If you want a something you can leave plugged in and forget about, you can get a timer to turn off/on every other day

Ok so only plug it in to change then unplug. Don’t leave it plugged in all the time. Thanks.

It doesn’t really matter if it’s plugged in or not, when it’s finished charging, it will shut off until it is unplugged and then plugged back in. The important thing to do to keep the batteries from draining is to turn off the battery disconnect switch after it’s fully charged.

My 2013 stayed plugged in all the time. The charger would come on and off to automatically top off the Gel batteries. Always ready to go even if I had been away for a month. Maybe early models didn’t have this feature? Now I have lithium batteries and let me tell you They are the Cats Meow. More power, faster recharge, 1/4 the weigh, more miles per charge, no maintenance and very close in price to lead batteries.

I have a GEM e4. The Red LED is blinking 2X and an Amber one on constantly. I checked all 6 batteries and they all have 12v. When I drive I cannot get past 6mph then it switches to turtle mode with the LED Turtle on constant. I then can’t go much more than 1-2mph. Can anyone guide me on what I might be doing wrong? I am wondering if the controller or speed sensor are bad. Thank you