How much CO2 does your car emit?

Check out the new CO2 emissions calculator at www.AfterOilEV.com/emissions.php

Features:

Diesel [B]22.58[/B] lbs /gal CO2
Gasoline [B]19.29[/B] lbs /gal CO2
E-85 [B]13.69[/B] lbs /gal CO2
Ethanol [B]12.64[/B] lbs /gal CO2

Electricity from Coal? [B]Click here[/B] to find out!

Update: the calculator now adjusts for energy content and engine optimization.

My vehicle emits ZERO CO2 emissions. It is an electric vehicle that costs almost nothing to operate. So if gasoline goes to $10 a gallon or higher, my vehicle expenses will still be the same as now. Something to think about if current gasoline prices are ruining your budget.

[QUOTE=SerpaDesigns;2018]Check out the new CO2 emissions calculator at www.AfterOilEV.com/emissions.php

Features:

Diesel [B]22.58[/B] lbs /gal CO2
Gasoline [B]19.29[/B] lbs /gal CO2
E-85 [B]13.69[/B] lbs /gal CO2
Ethanol [B]12.64[/B] lbs /gal CO2

Electricity from Coal? [B]Click here[/B] to find out![/QUOTE]

Who wrote the CO2 conversion calculator? They seem to be biased against diesel and very biased for ethanol…
http://www.afteroilev.com/emissions_calc.php

Either that or they are simply not well informed about engineering - diesel vehicles use about 30 - 40% LESS fuel than 100% gasoline vehicles. This is not reflected. Ethanol currently is produced here with many fossil fuels to distill the fuel - so it is NOT carbon neutral. Further, E100 requires about 40% more fuel to be burned for the same range as 100% gasoline - again not reflected in the tool. But most troubling, Biodiesel which IS carbon neutral and gets about 30% less burned than gasoline is not shown at all.

Why ? Is this a political site ? In my part of SE Michigan, all of my electricity is produced from burning coal - very rich in carbon and mercury… and since only 20% of our electric power in America is from Nucs and a smaller amount from hydro / wind / solar, most of it is from fossil fuels not carbon nutral…

Don’t get me wrong, our EV’s and other alternative solutions are our only hope, but we need to be open to options that are clean, carbon neutral, and sustainable - AND look at the whole truth and not just the statistics that are appealing us :slight_smile: Biodiesel is the only sustainable green solution for jet aircrafts we have discovered so far.

[QUOTE=arb;4076]Who wrote the CO2 conversion calculator? They seem to be biased against diesel and very biased for ethanol…
http://www.afteroilev.com/emissions_calc.php

Either that or they are simply not well informed about engineering - diesel vehicles use about 30 - 40% LESS fuel than 100% gasoline vehicles. This is not reflected. Ethanol currently is produced here with many fossil fuels to distill the fuel - so it is NOT carbon neutral. Further, E100 requires about 40% more fuel to be burned for the same range as 100% gasoline - again not reflected in the tool. But most troubling, Biodiesel which IS carbon neutral and gets about 30% less burned than gasoline is not shown at all.

Why ? Is this a political site ? In my part of SE Michigan, all of my electricity is produced from burning coal - very rich in carbon and mercury… and since only 20% of our electric power in America is from Nucs and a smaller amount from hydro / wind / solar, most of it is from fossil fuels not carbon nutral…

Don’t get me wrong, our EV’s and other alternative solutions are our only hope, but we need to be open to options that are clean, carbon neutral, and sustainable - AND look at the whole truth and not just the statistics that are appealing us :slight_smile: Biodiesel is the only sustainable green solution for jet aircrafts we have discovered so far.[/QUOTE]

I think I’ve communicated with you through email about this, if not:

First off, my calculator is for tank to wheels, it’s based off of the users CO2 impact on the environment, not the upstream sources. Therefore, biodiesel, ethanol, and electricity in terms of fuel are all 100% Carbon Neutral. Meaning molecule for molecule the Carbon in the fuel came directly from the atmosphere no more than a year ago, not millions of years like fossil fuels. The second part of the calculator shows upstream sources for several fuels. This is the non-Carbon Neutral portion of CO2 that is in [I]addition[/I] to the CO2 from fuel itself, including coal electricity.

Ethanol in an ethanol optimized engine gets 14.5% better mileage than gasoline in a gasoline engine.

Yes diesels get 32.5% better mpg on average than gasoline. But they also produce more CO2 per gal, offsetting that mpg advantage in terms of CO2 a little.

Biodiesels get 10% worse mpg than diesels or 19.25% better than gasoilne. Yet still produces more CO2 per gal than gasoline, or ethanol for that matter, making it better than gasoline but worse than diesel. (Of course still 100% Carbon Neutral)

I have not been able to find sources of CO2 for the refining of biodiesel. Once I have I will include that CO2 on the second half of the calculator.

Variables could include:
distance travelled per year
fuel consumption of the car (averaged over the year)
quality of the fuel
type of fuel
conversion efficiency

Here is a simple example using SI units here in NZ (you may need to convert to miles, gallons, ounces etc):

distance travelled during the year = 14000 km
fuel consumption = 10 litres / 100km => 1400 litres
CO2 produced by petrol fuel = 10 * 23g per km = 230g /km (see reference below)
So total CO2 produced in the year = 230g/km * 14000 km = 3220kg = 3.22 metric tonnes

Great links helps a lot.