Electric cars and green house gases

I have a couple of questions related to electric cars and green house gases. Can you tell me how many tons of green house gas emissions would be produced in charging an all electric car for 15,000 miles worth of driving, based on average emission rates for all types of power plants? Secondly, can you tell me how many tons of green house gases are emitted during the entire process of making a gallon of gas (from the well to the pump)? I’ve been doing some reading about the Tesla Model S and how some people say it (and by implication all electric cars) would actually increase the amount of green house gas emissions when you factor in the emissions from the power plant used to supply the electricity to charge it. What they don’t do is calculate the emissions produced by the process to supply the gas for a regular car. I would assume that there is a fair amount produced by drilling for the crude oil, transporting it to a refinery, refining it, and
transporting it to a gas station.

[LEFT]Electric cars produce no emissions jobsat all but their use increases demand for electrical generation. The well-to-wheel (WTW) carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions of electric cars is always lower than those of conventional cars, but the amount of savings depend on the emissions intensity of the existing electricity infrastructure. An electric car’s WTW emissions are much lower in a country like Canada, which electricity supply is dominated by hydro and nuclear, than in countries like China and the US that rely heavily on coal.
An EV recharged from the existing US grid electricity emits about 115 grams of CO2 per km driven, (g(CO2)/km) whereas a conventional gasoline powered car emits 250 g(CO2)/km. The savings are smaller relative to hybrid or diesel cars, but would be more significant in countries with cleaner electric infrastructure. In a worst case scenario where incremental electricity demand would be met exclusively with coal, a 2009 study conducted by the WWF and IZES found that a mid-size EV would emit roughly 200 g(CO2)/km, compared with an average of 170 g(CO2)/km for a gasoline powered compact car.[/LEFT]
Stellenmarkt

[QUOTE=pastafari;6879][LEFT]Electric cars produce no emissions at all but their use increases demand for electrical generation. The well-to-wheel (WTW) carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions of electric cars is always lower than those of conventional cars, but the amount of savings depend on the emissions intensity of the existing electricity infrastructure. An electric car’s WTW emissions are much lower in a country like Canada, which electricity supply is dominated by hydro and nuclear, than in countries like China and the US that rely heavily on coal.
An EV recharged from the existing US grid electricity emits about 115 grams of CO2 per km driven, (g(CO2)/km) whereas a conventional gasoline powered car emits 250 g(CO2)/km. The savings are smaller relative to hybrid or diesel cars, but would be more significant in countries with cleaner electric infrastructure. In a worst case scenario where incremental electricity demand would be met exclusively with coal, a 2009 study conducted by the WWF and IZES found that a mid-size EV would emit roughly 200 g(CO2)/km, compared with an average of 170 g(CO2)/km for a gasoline powered compact car.[/LEFT][/QUOTE]Good response sir and clearly demonstrates why the USA needs to go on a nuclear power plant building spree yesterday, and build like no tomorrow.

^So true and great summation pastafari.

in the short term the savings of polution are small but with the gulf oil spill as a warning the world has to go all electric and renewable power and non polluting.
so yes evs dont really do better than coal fired power but the world urgently needs to get off the fossil fuel addiction.
some countries are almost 80% renewable energy so as soon as we can get away from using oil as a fuel and use it for plastics and chemicals only the better.