Here is the Future of Batteries for cars

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8UwBP4yVgM&mode=related&search=[/ame]

light weight, green, eventually can be cheap, small, and great shelf life.

Have you got a link for us poor souls stuck on dial-up?

[QUOTE=Jack the R;346]Have you got a link for us poor souls stuck on dial-up?[/QUOTE]

thats a video of whats going on with the battery

thats the website of the company that is making it.

That’s the 4th or 5th nanobattery company I’ve heard of. Good times are ahead for the electric car!

I read an article that was about a year old if memory serves correctly that stated A123 batteries were good for everything BUT EVs. The only EV situation they recommended them for was drag racing because of the extremely high discharge rate. Have they gotten around the problem of the batts not doing so well in slower discharge environments? How about any of these other companys? I did find a blog of a guy that is using the A123s for his miyata or something like that. I’ll see if I can get a link.

Cheers

[QUOTE=inSANe DIEGO;353]I read an article that was about a year old if memory serves correctly that stated A123 batteries were good for everything BUT EVs. The only EV situation they recommended them for was drag racing because of the extremely high discharge rate. Have they gotten around the problem of the batts not doing so well in slower discharge environments? How about any of these other companys? I did find a blog of a guy that is using the A123s for his miyata or something like that. I’ll see if I can get a link.

Cheers[/QUOTE]

i dont see why they wouldn’t be able to get arround that seeing as these batteries will be being used for things other than cars too… like cell phones RC cars, and the like…

GM awarded A123 a contract to develop a pack for the Volt. I have a hard time believing they would have done so if the batteries were no good for cars.

[QUOTE=Jack the R;363]GM awarded A123 a contract to develop a pack for the Volt. I have a hard time believing they would have done so if the batteries were no good for cars.[/QUOTE]

thats some great news!

Here is the link to the article I was talking about. http://www.evworld.com/article.cfm?storyid=979
If I understood the article correctly they state several times that the battery is basically good in burst-type applications (Hybrids in our case). Hybrids are not a long constant drain vehicle. They use the electric motor to assist in acceleration only. The dragster that has their batts uses them in a burst application as well.
Since they have won a contract for the Volt and it will be essentially an ev for the first 30 - 40 miles, maybe they have made some changes. The article IS more than a year old so it’s possible.

Jack, post the link where you got the contract info.

There’s a few articles about it.

I see where you’re coming from regarding the EVWorld article. The 26650 cell may not be ideal, but still workable? You wouldn’t want to wire that many c-sized cells up though. I’m glad they’re working on a larger format cell.

Insane

There are multiple types of hybrids. Most of the one you see now use the electrics to assist the ICE. In these cases there is a drive shaft from the ICE to the wheels. The VOLT is a different type of hybrid. The wheels are ONLY turned by electric motors. When the ICE on the VOLT kicks in, it is only acting as a generators and there is no drive shaft running from the ICE to the wheels.

Lazlow

[QUOTE=Jack the R;371]http://www.gm-volt.com/

There’s a few articles about it.

I see where you’re coming from regarding the EVWorld article. The 26650 cell may not be ideal, but still workable? You wouldn’t want to wire that many c-sized cells up though. I’m glad they’re working on a larger format cell.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, cell management would be a bear. That’s why I wouldn’t even like the idea of a 60 batt pack.

Cheers

[QUOTE=Lazlow;385]Insane

There are multiple types of hybrids. Most of the one you see now use the electrics to assist the ICE. In these cases there is a drive shaft from the ICE to the wheels. The VOLT is a different type of hybrid. The wheels are ONLY turned by electric motors. When the ICE on the VOLT kicks in, it is only acting as a generators and there is no drive shaft running from the ICE to the wheels.

Lazlow[/QUOTE]

The hybrids that I am aware of are:
HEVs like the USDM Prius (Electric assisted conventional drive ICE)
PHEVs (EV for intial range with conventional ICE drivetrain)
and Electric drive with ICE generator range extentsion (like the Volt)

Anything else?

Cheers

It took a while to find this, the drive train used (series for volt parallel for most of the rest) is separate issue from the phev/hev. The volt is a parallel phev. The Prius is a parallel hev and there is a kit to make it a parallel phev. Nobody bothered with the series/parallel thing up until this point because they were all parallel.