Help with factory doors

2007 2 seater…factory doors. The drivers side door failed to open. Took the door apart and the exterior handle mechanism broke at the round angled 90deg that goes in a hole also serviced by the interior handle. Tough to explain but if you’ve seen it you shoukd know what I mean. So, you need to position the exterior handle then lower the interior door so the handle fits in 2 screw holes and the rod goes thru the latch mechanism. Well almost impossible. Has any one ran into this problem and can lend an idea.

My 08 had a broken exterior door handle that I had to replace, mine had a cable that attached to it that released the latch

1 Like

My '08 with hard doors also has a cable mechanism. That spring on yours looks to be out of place some too. One of mine was and it took a bit of work to get it back into the little channel so it didn’t walk around on the pivot rod. A peeve I have on my doors is that the 2 bolts holding the handle on are supposed to have matching holes in the interior shell to get a nut driver in there and install/remove the nuts. But on both of my doors, those holes are about 1" off. Was a PIA getting one back together and the next one I’m just drilling more holes.

I had to replace the whole unit on my 2007 E2. I learned that I must push in on the door when I lift on the handle to put less stress on the lock mechanism.

Thanks guys. My interior door handle is attached to the latch with a cable. The exterior handle with that rod goes thru the same plastic attachment that the cable uses…that’s the problem area. Thanks for noticing the spring,