Help Please. Building EV from scratch

It looks well matched to the controller, but not sure if it’l do the job.

Find the torque curve for it (ask the manufacturer for the datasheet/torque curve), and I can take a look for you.

whats the weight of the vehicle?

Here’s a link to the control.
http://www.electricvehiclesusa.com/product_p/co-1209b-6402.htm

oh, sorry

I meant the torque curve for the motor… from that we can have a good idea of torque and speed.

the seller said he has the curves, email him.

I kinda thought that is what you were meaning. I am afraid that motor may not have enough keeping in mind I would like to go without a transmission. Here is a link to some motors. There is one that is just a little over $1000 that looks pretty good.

http://www.electricvehiclesusa.com/category_s/45.htm

Sorry I haven’t posted in a while

But to answer your question, those calculations where just to maintain 45 mph. They did not include the force needed for acceleration. Remember though, that what I calculated was 150% of what you need to go 45 mph. The extra 50% is for any factor that I did not account for (such as variable wind. Although not that significant at high speed. It will dose drain some power at lower speeds). This extra margin for error should also add to your acceleration. I just don’t know how much.

I learned how to crunch numbers, but I can only guess as to how it partisans to the real world. A good guess mind you, but never the less I can’t be sure just what to expect. I am in the middle of figuring this stuff out for myself after all.

Some thing to think about

It takes more energy to accelerate, than it does to maintain a speed. So you will need more amps while you are accelerating. And one thing to remember is that you battery can put out more amps than it is rated for (in amp hours), but it should not be pushed that hard for an extended period of time.

So I’m guessing that you acceleration will be good at lower speeds. However it will probably suffer near 45.

hey I’m also building an electric car around the same specs
-600kg (over estimated)
-can go 50mph
-looking at 5kw and 72v setup
-6* 12v 88.83ah lead acid batteries
-low rolling resistance
-aerodynamic (calculated to 15 lbs of total drag(rolling, and air) and minimum of 2 hp)
-thinking of using the 5kw 72v BLDC motor from goldenmotors

it is planning to a scratch built car and I need some advice if with the info provided I can reach my goals. Thanks!
*If you need more info or have advice please reply on my thread by going to my profile (guess I’m not enough of an active member lol)

Thanks! :slight_smile:

If you are looking for a real good AC motor and controller at a unbelievable low price, take a look at the AC-45 on EBAY for less than $1k brand new.