Headlight to Rigid LED Conversion

Just finished the conversion of the stock headlights to Rigid industries dually spot 20221. I modified the the factory housing to fit the rigid LEDs in order to utilize the alignment screws and oem holes. The current mount is temporary and will be screwed together as opposed to zip tied once everything is set up. I have attached pictures of the project for reference. Any questions or thoughts please let me know.

Additional pic on the mount from the front.

Mounted inside factory oval.

View from the front.

Lights on view from front.

Up close led on.

Nice modification. I might be interested in doing this mod as well. How did the spots work as headlights? I would be concerned about the beam not being wide enough and maybe a little too bright. High powered spot normally come with a hefty price tag. What kind of cost are we talking about?

I see the Rigid Industries 20221 spots are spec’d at 10 degree spread (really tight) and the 20211 floods are spec’d at 20 degrees spread (very tight for floods IMO; I’d expect more like a 60 degree spread). Curious about your thinking on spots vs floods?

Cost on set of two is about $190.

I got two sets of spots on eBay for $130 each. I wanted a more direct pattern to see farther in the distance. It seems to light up at least 30 to 40 yards ahead of me. I will try and take some pics with the lights off and then switch them in so you can get a feel for how much difference it makes. The factory bulbs were like driving with a mag lite. I just stuck with the two bc I thought this might be overkill.

Hum… I might have to see one of these setup before I invest that kind of $$.

LED Light bar and Square LED head lights, Thats a Awesome Idea

I ordered and received the lights today from amazon ($159). Do you have any more pictures of modifications to the GEM mounting bracket… ? Please send.

Jerry

I was able to use the stock headlight bracket. In my case no mods were needed. I re-made my entire headlight bucket and I may have removed and relocated the stock location I can’t be sure?

Thank you…

WHERE DID YOU GET YOUR ROOF RACK? COST? YOU HAVE A GOOD LOOKING GEM. :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

I hade a friend make it for me. It was $500. I know that sounds like a lot but to have some one custom make something from scratch that’s a ligit shop. With the cost of material and the quality of the rack I felt like it was a great deal. The other person selling gem car roofs racks on the net, he sells his for $500 and they don’t even come close to the quality of myn

I found a set of Rigid Industries Dually [I][B]“Flood”[/B][/I] LED Light - 20211 on eBay for $149.00. The specs are:

[I]50,000 hour lifespan
2-15/16" x 3-3/16"
4 LEDs per lamp
15 watts
1568 raw lumens
Includes 2 lamps, plug & play wiring harness, switch, mounting brackets and mounting hardware[/I]

The floods have more lumens and a wider beam. I saw a YouTube video that compared the Dually spot to the flood and I think the flood will work better for my application. I’ll update when I get them.

Keep in mind my lights are the cheaper “knock offs” of the Rigid D2 lights. So I would expect your lights to be brighter then my’n. I think the Rigids are like 2 times the price of My “sidetracked” LED lights.

I have done a few LED tests using light meters ext and I have found manufacturing specs are MUCH different in person vs what they try to sell you. Rigid is a solid company and they make some of the best lights, so I would expect their spec’s to be solid. Untill you have both lights side by side and test them side by side you don’t know. There is a funny LED light bar test on you tube check it out if you have 3-4 mins it compares Rigid against a knock of Rigid

[ame]http://youtu.be/1vShTn7bWes[/ame]

That certainly looks the business! Have you got any more pictures?

Pictures of what?