Have you seen any driving instructors using electric vehicles?

When you bear in mind that the first experience for many people when looking to drive is the car which their driving instructor uses, perhaps electric car companies should target this specific area. Have you actually seen any driving instructors using electric vehicles to teach their customers?

Apparently Norway recent passed the worlds first driving test using an EV. Why are electric cars so much more popular in Scandinavia?

Maybe car companies should offer driving schools EVs for a slight discount?

It would seem to make sense Adam, sales and a perfect way to promote their vehicles.

I wonder if we will go down the road of governments offering incentives for electric vehicle driving schools?

I was just reading an article on the fact that the take up of electronic vehicles is still disappointingly low and whether people should be incentivised with exemption from toll charges etc but it has suddenly dawned on me that this must surely have something to do with it!

If you learn in a petrol vehicle chances are you’ll go on to drive one, similar to the way in which if you learn in an automatic you’re gunna avoid a manual (not exactly the same principle I know) Maybe driving instructors should be incentivised to use electric vehicles in their instruction. Maybe a business tax reduction or slightly lower business insurance? That way it will have trickle down effect to all future generations of drivers.

Just an idea anyway.

[QUOTE=RyanHill;15199]I was just reading an article on the fact that the take up of electronic vehicles is still disappointingly low and whether people should be incentivised with exemption from toll charges etc but it has suddenly dawned on me that this must surely have something to do with it!

If you learn in a petrol vehicle chances are you’ll go on to drive one, similar to the way in which if you learn in an automatic you’re gunna avoid a manual (not exactly the same principle I know) Maybe driving instructors should be incentivised to use electric vehicles in their instruction. Maybe a business tax reduction or slightly lower business insurance? That way it will have trickle down effect to all future generations of drivers.

Just an idea anyway.[/QUOTE]
In some jurisdictions, if you do your driving test in an automatic, then you are restricted to automatic cars.

Since Electric Cars are much easier to drive than gasoline cars, should license restrictions be put in place should someone who did the test in an electric car decide that they want to drive a manual gasoline car?

The other issue the EV community face is the bureaucracy involved (in some jurisdictions) in trying to get EVs registered, especially with diy EVs.

Some interesting thoughts there and some points which I had never really thought of. I learned to drive in a gasoline vehicle so I am more comfortable driving one, but if I learned to drive in an electric vehicle, that would automatically become my vehicle of choice.

I think government and electric car manufacturers need to have a rethink about their marketing campaigns and where they should focus their resources. The more people that learn to drive in an electric vehicle the better and the more people who see electric learner driver vehicles on the road, the more interest this will prompt. Win Win?

Al, diy vehicles are problematic anywhwere, try to get any dyi ICE car registered in california, good luck unless it has electronic fuel injection ( means no carburators ). there are also safety issues with diy vehicles.

Besides starting - turning the car off an on, and the whole charging aspect; there is no real difference in how to drive the car – foot on gas - go, foot on brake - stop, turn wheel to navigate !!

Also where i live there are hundreds maybe thousands of Leaf’s, Tesla’s, plug in volt’s, plugin prii ( what is the plural of prius ? )driving around.

Hi Rav4evforme

I think I can safely assume that you drive a Rav 4 EV (My Sherlock Holmes coming out :)) - what kind of feedback would you give about the Rav 4 EV?

Regards,

Mark