Hard door pin keeper

Seems the pins in hard doors freeze up in the hinge and rotate in the door bracket holes.

This wears faster, making doors loose.

Last year I drilled and pinned one with a #10 cap screw.
Pain to do.

I’m making a ss keeper that slide into groves in pin and locks the hinge pin to the door. Forcing the pin to rotate in the hinge.

First thought was to make a bunch and give them away. Turns out that I lack the skills to duplicate them.:slight_smile:

I would give some blanks away if someone wanted to copy them.

It actually works. :clap2:

Now to get the frozen pins out of the other car.

I posted a few years ago on the hard door problems. After wearing out two hinges, we decided to machine a set of pins out of stainless steel and then setscrew the pins to the hinge brackets. These have work for five years now. See the link below.

http://www.electricforum.com/cars/golf-carts-neighborhood-vehicles-low-speed-vehicles/2618-repairing-gem-hard-doors.html

Daniel

I hoped to make a simple clip that anyone could use. I don’t have the skills. :tongue:

Used set screws on the last two.

Honed the top hinge that had the most wear and put in nylon flange bushing.

They should last, as the pin moves with the door now.

Daniel Any chance you would make another set of S/S door pins?

David your the man!

I could, but would need the dimensions. These have been in for about a decade. By drilling the hinge and installing 6-32 setscrews, no clip or other hardware is needed. Once the pin is secured to the hinge bracket, the pin can no longer rotate and cause the hinge bracket to wear out.

Daniel

[quote=GEMmechanic;30035]I could, but would need the dimensions. These have been in for about a decade. By drilling the hinge and installing 6-32 setscrews, no clip or other hardware is needed. Once the pin is secured to the hinge bracket, the pin can no longer rotate and cause the hinge bracket to wear out.

Daniel[/quote]

What dimensions would you need? The pin size or the hole size

I would need accurate measurements of both.